eighteen.

FALSE GOD | xviii.
"NOW LET'S NEGOTIATE"
(' THE RESCUE ')

THE PLANE RIDE TO ITALY WAS SPENT IN SILENCE

THE PLANE RIDE TO ITALY WAS SPENT IN SILENCE. DEVYN STARED OUT OF THE WINDOW, CHEWING nervously on her finger as she thought of all the ways that this could fail. She could die. Madison could die. They could both die, leaving their mother alone.

"Hey," Rosalie says softly, and Devyn looks over at her, "What are you thinking about?"

"Dying," Devyn responds.

"You're not going to die," Rosalie assures her, "We're going to get Madison out of there. And you. I promise."

"Yeah well you've promised me a lot of things before," Devyn mutters as she looks out the window.

Harrison looks over at the two of them from where he was sitting. Rosalie watched Devyn for a moment longer before looking away. He looks away from the two of them. He knew that his daughter still loved Rosalie but after being abandoned so much, she was not going to forgive easily, if at all.

Halfway through the flight, Harrison takes a seat beside his daughter. Devyn looks over at him and Harrison sighs.

"I'm sorry Devyn."

"As much as I wish I could blame you for this, I can't. This would have happened whether you abandoned me or not," Devyn tells him and it was the truth. She was still the reincarnation of a centuries-old witch. This situation was inevitable.

"When we get there, you need to know who you're dealing with. Everyone in the Volturi has abilities, all of which they'll use against you. Aro, the leader, has the gift of tactile telepathy. He'll try to hold your hand and when that happens he will be able to read every thought you've ever had."

"Then there's Marcus, he can identify the relationship between people. He'll know that I am your father. He'll know that you and Rosalie used to date. He'll know that she still loves you."

Devyn looks at her father but doesn't say anything about the Rosalie comment, "Who else?"

"Jane can make one believe that they're experiencing absolute pain. But it isn't real, only an illusion. Alec can deprive you of your senses. Demetri is a tracker."

"Like James?" Devyn asks and her father nods his head.

"Jane will most likely use her abilities against you. You have to know that it isn't real. And you have to protect your thoughts from Aro. Yes, he can see all of your thoughts but it's like reading a book, think back to something long ago. Something that would make it extremely difficult to see your recent thoughts."

"Understood," Devyn says softly.

When they landed in Volterra, Devyn came to the conclusion that vampirism was nothing but one giant cult. She looked on in fear as people walked around in red cloaks. Devyn looked over at Rosalie and her father who had taken cloaks to hide their glimmering skin from the sun which was high in the sky.