Chapter-2

The Court proceedings were just coming to an end. The scenario had been the same as it had been since the court had been opened up for petitions again after the war. Most of it had consisted of widows, both old and young, and unmarried young girls who had lost fathers or brothers, looking for support.

So many women and children had been left floundering, their lives ruined, and Arjun knew it was all their fault. It was heart-wrenching and exhausting to sit in court and watch as these women and children all looked at them with eyes that were either dead or resentful. He didn't know which was worse.

This Kingdom had once loved them. Loved him. But all that affection was another loss of the war. Now all he saw in the once vibrant people's eyes was pain and defeat and resentment for them.

Tatshree Dhitarashtra had agreed to be present for the Court proceedings, thinking that maybe seeing the old King might ease the people into being more upfront about their troubles with the new, conquering one.

They had been just about to wrap up, when suddenly about a hundred widows swept up into court.

Royal widows.

Bhrata Yudhishtir stood up in shock. Arjun felt the same and looking around at everyone's faces he could tell that so did they.

They were all their sisters in law.

"What brings you all here? What can I do for you all today?" Yudhishtir asked.

Bhanumati stepped forward.

"Samrat Yudhishtir," she said, bowing her head. "I speak for myself and all my younger sisters in law when I say this."

There was a pregnant pause as they all held their breaths.

"We all seek permission to take leave from Hastinapur."

There was complete silence in the Sabha.

"What?" Yudhishtir asked, feeling completely wrong footed, just like the rest of them.

Bhanumati sighed.

"This palace has become too suffocating for me and my sisters. All our husbands are dead. Most of us have lost all our children as well, save for those of us lucky enough to have borne daughters." She smiled sadly.

"But the daughters were very few and they have all been married off. We are all alone. We have nothing left in this palace for us but ghosts. Please let us leave."

She folded her hands in front of her.

Arjun didn't think it had been possible for his heart to break even more. But he had been proven wrong. Would their family keep on breaking even more?

Dhitarashtra stood up then.

"What are you saying, daughter?" he asked aghast. "Have you no pity for your old parents? Have you told Gandhari of your plan? Are you truly going to leave us alone here?"

He got up from his throne and quickly stepped towards his eldest daughter in law.

As he placed his arms on her shoulders, Arjun could see the pain in her eyes.

"We have lost our sons, now will you leave us alone as well?" Dhitarashtra asked with tears in his eyes as he turned his face towards all his daughters in law.

And it stung. It stung, that even with the five of them and Draupadi and Subhadra and their mother and Kakashree Vidur and Kakishree Parashivi and Uttara, their Tat and Taishree would consider themselves all alone.

It was petty jealousy though, Arjun knew. That part of him that had always sought for his Elder uncle's unconditional love since their father's death but had never received it.