Chapter-35

Vrishaketu had come and wrapped his arms around Vrushali and squeezed her so tight, she couldn't breathe for a moment and then he refused to tell her what was wrong.

"There is nothing wrong, Ma." He protested. "Can't I just express my affection for you, without anything being wrong?"

Vrushali arched an eyebrow. "Don't get smart with your mother. I know you too well."

"There's nothing wrong." Her son said again and she frowned.

"Since when do you keep things from me?"

"I'm not keeping anything from you!"

"And now you're lying to me."

Vrishaketu sighed. "It's nothing, I'm fine, I was just really upset about something. Let's talk about this puja for the Pandavas' Ashwamedha Yagna that's coming up and that you'll be conducting."

"What were you really upset about?" Vrushali asked immediately.

"It was... It was a thing with Prince Arjun."

Of course, she thought.

"But I'm annoyed with him on the regular, so at this point, this is nothing new."

"You're annoyed with him often, but these days you're not usually that upset with him."

"Ma, can you please drop it!" Vrishaketu burst out. "I'll deal with it!"

"Fine." Vrushali pursed her lips. "But if you need help, you'll ask, right?"

"I won't need help! But fine, I'll ask if I do. Now tell me about this Ashwamedha Yagna Puja."

"Who told you about it?"

"Uttara." Vrishaketu said. "But apparently, this was discussed two days ago, so like.... why didn't you tell me?

"I thought you might be upset." Vrushali said, looking away.

Vrishaketu frowned. "Don't you feel like this whole thing is very strange, though?" He asked. "Like what is the point of this? 'The oldest wife in the family'? But we haven't been family!"

"I know." Vrushali sighed. "But there was no reason to deny it, except for the principle of it." She shrugged. "I was feeling generous and besides, I just have to conduct a puja and its not even affecting our time of returning back to Anga since this is only five days from now."

"Alright." Her son said.

Vrushali blinked. "You're not upset?" She asked in surprise.

"Well, a little." Vrishaketu shrugged. "But like you said, it's a small thing and doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of everything."

"That is ...rather wise of you." Vrushali noted. It really was. She hadn't expected him to be this accepting. He didn't even show the mildest hints of protest.

"I can be wise." Vrishaketu retorted and then said, "I want to go with you when you go to the temple."

"You know that Kshatriya men are--"

"--not supposed to go to the temple for the Puja before the main preparation for the Ashwamedha Yagna begins for whatever reason, yes. But I'm not Kshatriya!" He said brightly. "That's how all the soldiers will get to go with you anyway. I mean, can you imagine if only Kshatriya were allowed to become soldiers as well? There would be no army!"

"Yes," Vrushali said, wincing. "But here's the thing. The whole reason I have been requested to this Puja is because......" She bit her lip. "It's because your father is being considered the eldest brother to the Pandavas and Queen Mother Kunti's Son. I think... by that extension, for this particular occasion at least, you will be considered a Kshatriya. So you can't come with me."