Chapter-25

Vrishaketu clutched tightly at his mother's hand as they made their way back to Hastinapur. He used to love going to Hastinapur. It was his second home, after all. As it was, the memories of the Palace had already be tarnished by the absence of his father, brothers, cousins and Kuru uncles. But because of those Pandavas, because of Rajkumar Arjun... he could not even enjoy seeing his kakis and grandparents in peace.

Not even in the archery arena or even in his safe haven in the forest could he be free of Prince Arjun.

He somehow had to get over his fear.

His mother had told him that it was alright to fear, but she didn't understand. He couldn't keep fearing anyone, least of of all Prince Arjun. It was an insult. To his father, to his brothers, to himself.

Maa had also told him to try to give Prince Arjun a chance. To hear him out once. But that was not easy. Not when he felt his father's absence every day and he knew Prince Arjun was responsible for that. Not when he felt his brothers' absence everyday and knew that the Pandavas were personally responsible for all but one of them.

But he had decided to try and be less explosive. It was not dignified. 

This time they arrived in Hastinapur the way they usually did, that is, with lot less fanfare, thank the Gods for that. 

"Come lets go see Pitamaha and Pitamahi." He said, dragging his mother towards their chambers.

"I'll join you in a while my dear, let me just go meet Bhanumati once, then I'm coming."

He pouted at her, trying to keep hold of her but she laughingly batted him off.

As he walked through the corridors, he couldn't help but occasionally peek around corners first, before actually making a turn just in case any stray Pandavas were about.

Just as he thought he had made it to his grandparents' chambers without issue, he saw the person he least wanted to see. Rajkumar Arjun.

He stifled a groan. And then he did a double take. Because if he was not hallucinating... then it seemed that Prince Arjun had just... stepped out from his grandparents' chambers.

What.

What was that man doing in his grandparents' chambers?!

Did he have no shame? He dared to go in front of his grandparents after having taken the light of their life from them?

Vrishaketu felt rage bubble up in him as he stomped towards his grandparents' chambers.

Rajkumar Arjun's eyes widened slightly in surprise as he saw him.

"Oh, Vrishaketu!" He greeted, giving a small smile. "I didn't know you were coming today."

"I don't want to talk to you." He snapped angrily. "I don't like to talk to people who don't know how to leave old grieving parents in peace."

The smile slipped off the man's face. "But I was just--"

But Vrishaketu had already stepped into the chambers and slammed the door behind him.

"Dear lord, what--" Pitamahi Radha exclaimed turning around to face the door.

"Oh! Vrishaketu!" Both the old people hurried to him and Vrishaketu clutched them to him in an embrace. Now that he was mostly grown up at seventeen, they felt so fragile in his arms.

Pitamahi pulled back to cup his face and then peppered kisses all over him. At any other time he might have (fake)protested, but he felt too upset right now to pretend to hold himself above any kind of affection.