Chapter-27

Arjun had just returned from another visit to Dwarka yesterday. Staying in Madhav's company always made everything peaceful, always made him forget about all his worries.

After the war, Dwarka seemed to be the only place where Arjun could calm his heart and as such, he had spent as much of the last two months in Dwarka as he could, without ignoring his duties in Hastinapur. 

(That meant that he had spent basically the entire two months in Dwarka because he didn't actually have many duties in Hastinapur given that both his elder brothers were Emperor and Crown Prince and his younger brothers were the Chief Healers and his wife was Empress and finance minister and his other wife was occasionally helping their Sisters in law to coordinate the logistic part of the relief efforts. He had attempted to help but he had been kindly told by each faction that they had it covered and that they would ask him for advice if needed. Given that the Army was well..... pretty much non existent because almost anyone who had not died had resigned and given that no one in all of Aryavarta was even thinking about another war anytime soon, Arjun had basically nothing to do. He didn't really mind it though, because all this meant that he could spend more time with Madhav. Upon his return, he had also been thoroughly told off by Subhadra because how dare he go visit her brothers without even thinking of taking her.)

Madhav had enquired about how things were going in Hastinapur and Arjun had told him of how Bhanumati Bhabi's idea of Widows helping Widows had been a success. Unfortunately he could not reply in the same vein when he had been asked about how the family itself had been doing.

Then Madhav had asked if he had made any headway with Vrishaketu, but after taking one look at Arjun's face he had simply proclaimed "Give the child more time,"  and then moved on to the next topic.

As always, his friend had managed to distract him from his somber mood and depressive musings by his mere presence, but now that he had returned home, all that had returned as well.

Arjun was content to give Vrishaketu all the time in the world. But by now he had given up hoping that he could ever truly reach any sort of understanding with the boy. All he could do was give him space so that the child didn't hate him at least.

Speaking of children, he needed to go check on Uttara. He had of course met with his brothers and wives and mother after returning yesterday night, but he had not wanted to disturb Uttara in case she had fallen asleep.

When he stepped outside Uttara's quarters, he heard very faint voices from inside. Uttara's and... a male one? He was quite sure none of his brothers were in there and in a complete contrast to how it used to be, there was an extreme lack of males in the palace now.

He frowned, puzzled.

"Who is with the Princess?" He asked the guard outside the chambers, quite certain that he wouldn't let just any random man go inside.

The guard looked mildly discomfited. "It's Prince Vrishaketu."

Arjun's eyebrows shot up.

"What-what are they doing?" He asked and then immediately felt stupid. How would the guard know?! Honestly.

"I-I'm afraid I don't know, your highness." The guard said, looking at him strangely.

"That's fine." Arjun said hastily.

There was an awkward pause. 

"So... did the Prince not give any reason for visiting?"

"Uh... sorry but no, Your Highness. He visits quite often nowadays."

Wait. What?

"He does?"

"Yes, I think they might be friends."