Chapter-12

Arjun walked down to the practice fields. It was always empty nowadays, given that most of those who used to practice there were no longer in this world, and the very few remaining, did not really wish to do so any longer.

It was the one place Arjun was assured he would be be alone. And away from the white saris that haunted him. It offered space to think.

So just as Arjun was wandering aimlessly near the practice fields, thinking about going to meet Madhav soon and really talk with him, he was shocked to hear the continuous twangs of a bow and the swooshes of several released arrows.

He hurried towards the source of the sound to find Vrishaketu. The boy had a blindfold covering his eyes as he shot arrow after arrow at swiftly swinging targets, hanging all around him. 

Arjun stayed silent and watched as Vrishaketu shot down each of the targets without even missing a single one. He was brilliant. Perhaps not quite as good as Abhimanyu yet, but still extraordinary.

He briefly wondered if it was his face that the boy was imagining on each of the targets.

Vrishaketu took off his blindfold to survey his work, and then upon seeing Arjun, he stiffened.

"Rajkumar Arjun." He said. "What can I do for you?"

"Oh nothing." Arjun assured. "Just keep practicing. I was just passing through when I saw you. You're very good."

"I know." Vrishaketu said, in a slightly haughty tone. "But practice is what makes is that way."

"But of course." Arjun said, with a little smile. "Do you know where the advanced archery practice area is?" he asked. "I could take you there."

"Of course I know where it is!" Vrishaketu said, sounding affronted. "I've been there many times. I was merely warming up first. I can go there myself."

Saying so, Vrishaketu stomped towards said area, proving that he did, in fact know where it was.

Arjun trailed behind him hesitantly.

And here he had been getting somewhat comfortable with having had a decent conversation. The boy was very explosive. Not that he could be blamed, of course. Arjun had probably accidentally provoked him by implying that he didn't know the Palace well, when he had come here often with his...father.

Arjun sighed. Every time he thought of the Angaraaj, he had no idea what to feel. He had become numb now. He did not like it. Arjun was someone who had always felt things intensely. This numbness... unsettled him. But he wasn't sure he wanted it gone. He did not know what would happen if this numbness faded. Whatever it would be... it seemed daunting.

He shook his head and looked up. Vrishaketu seemed hell bent on ignoring him, but so far hadn't protested at his presence yet. He took it as a good sign.

The boy was practicing the release of several arrows all at once, now. His stance and posture were absolutely perfect. That was only to be expected, he supposed.

However something seemed strange about the way he gripped the bow. Arjun stepped closer to get a better look at it. Vrishaketu stiffened but did not call him out on it.

Arjun tilted his head as he observed the grip. He had never been able to shoot properly using that grip.

"Have you always held the bow like that?" Arjun asked Vrishaketu.

"Yes." Vrishaketu answered shortly. "What's it to you?"

"It's just not the way I hold the bow."

Suddenly, Vrishaketu turned on him, with a tremendous look on his face.

"And of course, the way you hold the bow must be the correct one, right? What my father taught me, is clearly wrong, O Supreme Archer!" Vrishaketu breathed hard, his eyes burning, his chest heaving.

Oh no, Arjun thought, alarmed.

"You misunderstand me, child." He said, raising his hands up in front of him in an attempt to placate the boy. "I was asking, merely because its a different way to how I hold the bow. There's nothing wrong with it at all." 

For a moment it seemed that Vrishaketu might calm down. But in an attempt to ensure that happened, Arjun only succeeded in causing the opposite.

"You father was a great archer, of course, he was not wrong." This was the wrong thing to say, because clearly, Vrishaketu didn't believe he meant it.

"And I am sure, he would be so gratified to hear that from the man who killed him! What greater achievement could one have, O Lord Arjun, Supreme of all Warriors!" 

If looks could kill, Arjun would be a pile of ash now. Vrishaketu gave him a ferocious glare and stormed off. He thought of calling after the boy, but decided that it would only cause more problems. 

Arjun watched him stalk off, feeling terrible. He never seemed to know the right thing to say to Vrishaketu. Last time, when he had attempted to lighten the mood with a joke when they had met in the hallway... well that had been admittedly idiotic of him.

But now. He had truly meant to assure the boy that there was nothing wrong with the way he held the bow and that of course his father was a great archer, one of the greatest, the best one right alongside Arjun but. Why would he ever believe a word Arjun said?

Why would he, when to him it would make perfect sense that Arjun was saying those words only in pity, or even worse, in underhanded mockery.

But this interaction had regardless ignited a fire in him. Arjun did not know why, but now he felt as though he could not go on with Vrishaketu always only thinking the worst of him, though he had every right to do so.

No. He would try his best to make the boy understand that Arjun was not so terrible a person as he thought.

He would wait a while here. Wait for Vrishaketu to calm down. And then he would attempt to approach him again.

This might have been a bad idea, given how Vrishaketu had reacted to him right now, and how he had reacted when Jyesht had called him 'family'.

But for some reason, Arjun could not bear that this child, this last part of the dead eldest brother he never truly knew in life and only ever saw as an enemy until death would loathe him for the rest of their lives.

Also, I'm kinda concerned about Arjun's characterisation. Am I doing good? Is this chapter alright? Does Arjun's resolution seem rushed, or like it came out of nowhere?

Let me know in the comments!