Chapter-4

Arjun stood on the steps leading up to the palace with great trepidation in his heart. The Pandavas, Draupadi, Subhadra, Kunti Ma, Uttara, Tat Dhitarashtra, Kaka Vidur, Kaki Parashivi, and all the Kuru Widows were lined up there to welcome the eldest daughter in law and the only remaining son of his generation to the family.

Even Mata Gandhari had come out today.

The real question was whether their welcome would be accepted.

Whether they, the Pandavas, their wives and mother would be accepted.

Arjun wasn't particularly optimistic about their chances. He would be content with the lack of complete hatred, for now.

The sound of the drum beats and the conches being blown announced their arrival. Arjun stood up straighter.

About a dozen soldiers on horses wearing Anga's sun emblem rode into the palace grounds first.

The herald then announced, "The Queen of Anga Vrushali and The Crown Prince Vrishaketu have arrived."

The fact that Vrishaketu, the youngest son, was crown prince was just another terrible reminder of what had happened.

A white chariot drawn by four white horses pulled into the grounds.

Arjun's breath caught in this throat and his heart sped up. His body seemed to heat up everywhere.

The chariot came to a halt and Vrishaketu jumped out to help his mother descend. Angrani Vrushali took his offered hand and stepped out. She was a beautiful woman who carried herself with a regal grace and poise. She did not look divinely ethereal like Draupadi or eternally youthful like Subhadra but she had a certain ageless look about her.

She had a calm expression but beside her, Vrishaketu stood with a scowl marring his young and handsome face.

The queen whispered something to her son and he swiftly smoothened his expression.

Well, Vrishaketu's anger was perfectly warranted. If Vrishaketu had come and insulted him, Arjun might even have felt better. But certainly, it seemed that the Angarani would never let that happen.

As they ascended the stairs, Arjun's heart seemed to want to jump out of his chest.

Vrushali and Vrishaketu first stepped towards Dhitarashtra and Gandhari to touch their feet.

"Oh my dear girl!" Gandari said with a sob, embracing Vrushali tightly as Dhitarashtra embraced Vrishaketu.

"It's so good to have you here." Dhitarashtra told them.

Arjun realised that Gandhari had never showered this much affection on either of his wives. That was understandable, but simply more proof of how much had gone wrong and how much they didn't know each other.

Then Gandhari turned to Vrishaketu and opened her arms.

"Come my boy. Embrace your Grandmother."

The atmosphere immediately became uncomfortable. This was the first true spoken acknowledgement of their shared relation and it had come from Gandhari not Kunti.

As Vrishaketu hugged Gandhari, Arjun exchanged looks with his brothers and then turned towards his mother.

She looked sad, with her lips pressed into a thin line. But she also clearly knew that saying something now would be unwise.

Arjun honestly wondered if they would even go to Kunti.

Then Mata Gandhari said, "How terrible it is that all this time you were with us, we did not even know you were part of our family. And before the war, Karna found out which side of this family he belonged to, and yet he continued to spread light in our garden. He was truly great!"

Arjun knew that Mata Gandhari did not mean for the words to hurt, since they were only the truth, but they stung nonetheless.

Vrushali gently wiped away the tears of the older woman that had not been soaked by the blindfold.

"Neither my husband nor my sons would want you to shed your precious pearl like tears for them, Mata. "

She wrapped an arm around her and looked at Bhanumati.

"Come now Bhanu dear, take us inside."

"Yes Didi." The Kuru Widows turned to walk inside the palace, followed by Vrushali, Vrishaketu, Gandhari and Dhitarashtra . 

Arjun felt like he had missed something.

He turned to see Yudhishthir looking vaguely impressed and discomfited.

"What is it Jyesht?" Bhrata Bheem asked the question before Arjun could.

"Our bhabhi has just very skillfully avoided any sort of conversation or direct confrontation with us, without being insulting."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gandhari dadi was dropped off at her temple along with Dhitarashtra dada and a few of the Kuru kakis joined them. Then Bhanu kaki went to lead mother to the Widow's Wing.

Outside they stopped and she turned to embrace Vrishaketu.

"You've grown taller, my dear. Soon you may be as tall as your father." She said with a tired smile.

Vrishaketu asked teasingly, "Are you sure you haven't become stooped, kaki? It's entirely possible after all, with all the new white hairs I can see."

Vrushali snorted and Vrishaketu dodged Bhanumati's swat.

Bhanumati sobered again. "You can't come into the Widows' Wing, my boy. Do you know where you'll go now?"

"Yes, I'll go visit Radha Pitamahi and Adhirat Pitamaha."

"You might as well bring them to the Palace now. After all, all of Bhrata Karna's family is our family now. I don't think you will be denied, if you ask for permission to bring them here." Bhanu kaki told him.

"I'm not sure I can bring myself to face any of my so-called uncles." Vrishaketu admitted.

"It is inevitable that you will face them at some point." Bhanumati said. "Use the opportunity to ask that. You might be able to avoid any other unpleasant conversation, for once at least."

Vrishaketu nodded. "I suppose. Will they come, though? They haven't wanted to leave their home for years after all."

"But this won't be them leaving Hastinapur." Vrushali said. "They will simply be changing housing. See if you can't convince them. In fact, after experiencing so much loss, I do not think their old hearts will want to be far from you, Vrishaketu."

"I think Dadi Gandhari and Dada Dhitarashtra might be glad for their company, don't you?"

"Certainly."

Don't forget to comment your thoughts!