Six (18+)

A/N: Thank you so much for 100+ reads! Critiques/Votes/Comments are all greatly appreciated! I'd love to know how you all are enjoying the story and if you guys have any ideas for bonus chapters <33 Enjoy it! ;) 

... 

After Detective Loki and I got to the station, I checked the time on my cell phone. 6:32 PM. Still no text from Mark. I thought to myself. That was weird. He never ignored my text, especially if he knew I would be out of the house. I wondered what he was getting up to. Not that I cared too much. My mind was elsewhere.

The station was about 15 minutes away, and we ended up making it right on time. By the time we reached the station it was still bustling with activity, and officers were still handing out vests, flashlights with walkie talkies and different kinds of weather gear. I don't think anyone noticed that David was a bit late. 

I looked around nervously. Not knowing where to begin, I walked towards the seats with Detective Loki in tow. He placed his strong hands on my shoulders as we trotted through the lobby. As I sat in the lobby chairs watching everyone do their respective duties, David whispers in my ear. A shiver runs through my veins at the sound of his sweet, deep voice. 

"I'll go get you a vest and some gear. I don't want you staying out long either. It'll get super cold tonight." He says lowly. He gives me a light squeeze on my shoulders and leaves me to sit in the busy lobby, surrounded by scrambling heads and raised voices. My head was still pounding from the crying I had endured earlier. I had never cried that hard before, being that I never really had anyone to cry to anyway. 

I had given up on trying to talk through things with Mark. His behavior in particular. It was exhausting, trying to save a dying relationship on your own. It was never a one-sided ordeal and he never seemed to understand that. I gave up on trying to understand why he didn't love me anymore, or why he never seemed to talk to me about his feelings like he used to do. Maybe I was a placeholder, and he would try and find a different girlfriend in the meantime. Even if that was the case, I couldn't bring myself to care anymore. I was mentally exhausted from trying to force him into putting effort into our relationship. I couldn't even remember the last time we had sex. We were trauma bonded, and I wanted that bond torn apart already. 

I felt a different kind of feeling when I was with Detective Loki. Even though we hadn't known each other for long at all, I still felt the tension when he was near. And I know he did too. The way he wiped my tears, the way he spoke in a low, deep tone to me, as if I was so fragile that I would break if he spoke too loudly. He cared enough to ask me if Mark put his hands on me, and cared enough to take me out of the house to get away from my own loneliness for a little while. He had his duties to fulfill as a detective, and two missing little girls to find with the pressure of the entire town on his back. But he still chose to invest his time in me. He still chose to drive me home from the Supermarket when he noticed I didn't have my own car. He did more for me than Mark did in the few years we had been together. I wondered how far David would really go. I couldn't deny that I was falling in love with this mysterious man, and I was grateful to the Gods that he showed signs of falling for me too.

"Here, Cass." Detective Loki stood in front of me, with a vest and some other gear in his hand. "Sorry, the vest might be a bit baggy but I couldn't find a smaller one. Here." He hands me the vest along with a walkie talkie and a flashlight, and our fingers brush against each other lightly as I take it from him with a smile. "I'll walk with you so you don't get lost, okay?" He says, his eyes blinking like mad.

"Thank you, David. I'm sure it'll get the job done." I say. He smiles down at me, brushing my cheek with his thumb, quickly but affectionately. As much as I wanted to help these families find their girls, I wanted nothing more in that moment than to be in David's warm car with his arms around me, and his sweet words warming my heart. Our moment was interrupted by a man's raised voice.