Eight

I run and run, not looking back. I felt as if I would collapse any second. My legs turned to Jell-O, and it was like I couldn't hold myself up any longer. A knot formed in my throat, and I let out a whimper, no one else around to hear except for the leafless tress and icy roads. 

Why was I hurt? I thought I didn't give a shit about him? I thought to myself, tears stinging at my eyes. I didn't know why I was shocked. He had probably done this before. It wasn't likely that it was his first time, but his first time getting caught. I heard his voice trailing off behind me, and I sped up the pace. I could feel him approaching, so I looked behind me and saw him running after me, in his work clothes. He looked disheveled. He didn't even bother to do it somewhere else. In my house? In my bed? The only place I felt some sort of comfort when he wasn't home. He had ripped my life away from me, and now he ripped that away too. I stood still, watching as he pathetically ran after me, a scowl written on my face. Did he think I would forgive him? Did he think he would beat the shit out of me and I would instantly forgive him? I was done. Utterly done. I wanted nothing else to do with him. I never wanted to see his face, or hear his stupid fucking voice ever again. I wouldn't forgive him. I was tired of putting up with his bullshit, just because I had nowhere else or anyone else to run to. But I did now. And I knew exactly where to run to. 

I smiled at him. I started laughing, knowing that this was the end. He wouldn't get me to ever forgive him, and I was through with him. I had a feeling he knew, because I had never acted this way with him. All I could ever do was cry, all I could ever do was apologize in hopes that we could go back to normal after something happened between us. But no more. And he knew. A little tiny voice in his stupid fucking head is telling him that I'm done with his shit. 

"What's so funny?" He says, astonished. I thought I saw a bit of fear on his face, but I wasn't sure. 

I caught my breath before I continued. 

"You're fucking another woman." I giggle. "In MY bed." I say, wiping a tear from under my eye. "We are so done. You can't fucking torture me anymore. I'm done Mark. Done." I continue firmly. "You've beat me, kicked me while I was down, insulted me. But this. This is the last straw."

I look to my left and see the woman, driving past us in her stupid red Toyota that I didn't even notice was parked across the street from our house. She sees the looks on our faces, and rolls her window up, minding her business. Now she wants to mind her business?! After she minded Mark's business in my fucking bed. Pathetic. I scoff. "You're so fucking pathetic Mark. I'm done letting you control me. I'm leaving!" I yell while walking away. I take my phone and David's card from my back pocket, and start to dial the number on the back. 

Mark tries to yell after me, but I keep walking down the street at a fast pace. I press the call button, and it rings twice before a familiar, deep voice picks up. 

"Hey you. You alright?" He says gently.

"Davi- ah!" I'm interrupted by a stinging pain on the back of my head. Mark yanked me backwards by a chunk of my hair. I drop my phone, and my heart along with it. 

"David! Please! He'll fucking kill me." I manage to scream before Mark picks up the phone with one hand, holding me by my hair with the other. I was in survival mode. I knew that he would die before he let me go, and he would murder me before anyone could find out what he'd been doing to me. 

He ends the call, leaving me virtually and physically alone with him. 

"Who's that. Your little detective boyfriend?" He laughs sarcastically. He slams my phone on the ground next to me, making it shatter and glass flies everywhere. I wriggle out of his grip, keeping my eyes on him.