01

(3507 words)

"I wanna grab both your shoulders and shake, baby. Snap out of it."

"This will not be as painful for you if you cooperate."

I hold my head high. "Fuck you,"

She nods, flicking her eyes to the man standing behind an old TV. The one that will snap a shock into your fingertips if you touch it.

"Let's go again," She sighs with a smile, she seems confident that this will work. But I know it won't.

Pain isn't going to change me. It isn't going to change the memories I have of them and it's certainly not going to change my love either. I just have to hold on. For you, my angel.

Ivy Brooks

The air was thick with sweat and alcohol, the blaring music pulsating through the ground with my body sliding up and down the bar with my hands gripping onto the neck of bottles. The loud chatter and screams of people swirl around the large area, my eyes frantically trying to spot any new people sitting down on the stools. The sweat piling at the back of my next made me itch for a shower with my throat scratchy from the long period of screaming over the music.

Sometimes I really hate my habit of playing the long game to get what I want.

The smell of sugary and sinister drinks spilling into my nose as I try to keep up with the orders, tonight was very busy and I'm surprised I haven't fallen on my ass yet. I'm usually working with Alex but he's off today on his big date.

If you ask me, Alex is basically magnetically pulled towards the worst kinds of men in this world. Always talking about some guy that he will have forever with, only to cry on my shoulder about how they brutally fucked with his heart or how much he hates me every time we have to leave, which is quite often. He's a sweetheart and a real chatter box, he never knows when to shut up and that mouth of his has gotten us into countless situations where we almost got kidnapped, killed, or reported.

"Hey girl!"

My eyes switch over from a young man with long yellow locks to the glimmering eyes of Sophie. I let out a sigh of relief, giving her a smile and she returns by giving me a sweet air kiss.

I look back at the young man, "What can I get you?" I ask over the music, swallowing down some spit to keep my throat wet instead of crackling dry.

"Let me get four shots of rum!" The man says, nodding his head once I blurted out an assuring word, mentally writing down his order.

I turn towards the left end of the bar, seeing Sophie sitting with one leg over the other and her eyes already scanning tonight's crowd. Her long blonde hair falling pass her shoulders, covering up the gnarly back tattoo she has. She's currently single which means she's on the look for a guy that will give her the high, that emotional roller coaster filled with exciting moments and tear filled kisses.

She wants romance, bad boys, and happily ever after all in one, imagine how hard it must be to explain to her that she can't have all that while trying to keep her dreams intact.

To me, It's a slippery slope. Not her, she knows what she is doing with love and she knows that she'll always end up back on top after every heart break. What I'm talking about, is love.