02

(1599 words)

"Promised it would all be good
But does this feel good to you?
'Cause you promised not to fall
Didn't you, didn't you?"

Ivy Brooks

My sore legs carry me into the dark building, my hands gripping onto my large black duffle bag I used to carry around my stuff. My black heels clinking on the wood floors with Sophie and Jackson laughing like a pair of jackasses who just won five hundred dollars from a bet.

They make double that amount every five seconds.

"Who's making breakfast tomorrow?" I ask, chucking my keys into the small white bowl we had at the front door.

I kick off my heels, making my way towards the stairs while keeping an ear out for a response and when I don't get one, I just assume that the new guest will take the little job that is rewarded with a place to stay.

"Night assholes!" I yell, hearing them giggle and talk as the door shuts. I smile, making it up the stairs rather quickly and slipping into my room.

I shut the door behind me, scanning the pitch black room with the dim outline of my furniture and things all around the large area. I do have to admit, Z has outdone herself with this place.

I drop my things, immediately walking across the room until my hands gently ghosted over the soft fabric of my blackout curtains. I grip onto it with both my hands, each on different sides before pulling them open.

The city's dim lighting pours into the room, looking like a glow in the dark painting. All of the small dots for light, the swayed lines that created such large buildings, and the beautiful moon herself sat at the very top.

It was breathtaking.

I've always loved the city at night, it was where the perfect mixture of enough darkness and sinister thoughts were able to cover up everyone's idea of a picture perfect person.

It allowed them to hide in the dark corners of the club or the crowded streets of Hollywood. To slip out of their masks and show the world who they really were- all for just one night. The downside of it all, is the lack of control you have over people.

When they let themselves go and relish in their freedom with no regrets or worries, there is nothing you can do to stop them. You cannot bribe them with anything because they already have everything they need and you can't convince them because why would they listen to you?

They've completely let go of their humanity and are left with their bare soul. That soul is what has kept us alive all these years and decades, it's what is woven into our DNA. They are feral, living in that moment like it will be their last. They throw everything valuable out the door and are driven by on their primal instinct, being free and taking what they want.

It's chaos. They're chaos.

But when the morning after comes and that instinct is back to being under layers of edited personalities and masks, they're back to walking on eggshells and worrying about the outcome to everything they say and do. It's a shame and a blessing all in one.

I feel a small buzz in my jacket's pocket and I pinch out my phone, seeing a message from the man killer herself, Sophie.

From Soph
1:35 AM
Wanna go to the rooftop and smoke with me?

To Soph
1:36 AM
Only if you roll.

From Soph
1:37 AM
Why wouldn't I use my one and only gift?