07

(2450 words)

"Tell me I'm not going home
And I'll stop waiting by the phone."

Chris Sturniolo

The warmth crawling through my skin made my eyes shut gently, the snapping sounds of the large fire crackling at my feet with the low murmur of chatter my new friends were doing. The hot chocolate sitting in the palm of my hands with the delicious smell flowing into my nostrils and creating another addition to this comforting atmosphere.

My eyes were in awe of the movie playing on the large screen in front of me, the fuzzy socks Jackson had given me keeping my feet warm. I feel very comfortable right now which is odd since I'm about to fall asleep in a stranger's house with a drunken woman passed out right next to me. The reason they bundled Ivy and I up was because their heating had failed and left the house feeling like a night in the north pole.

I don't think I should be hanging around with people that seem to have a very strong need for alcohol and weed

I don't think I should be hanging around with people that seem to have a very strong need for alcohol and weed. I couldn't give two fucks if they smoked or drank once in awhile but these people do it constantly. Every five minutes, I see a bottle of liquor in one person's hand and a joint in the other.

I personally don't have a problem with the substance itself, who wouldn't want to enjoy their life for awhile? But they use it like an escape hatch from reality, they use it like a short term cure that they need to get through the day. All of this is purely from the information I have gathered in the little time I have known them.

Jackson seems like such a teddy bear of a man, he looks like a thug you see in those Hollywood movies. He is always cracking jokes and sucking away at a cigarette between his teeth, he also seems to be very protective over his sister. I remember at the pier before Ivy and I split, he kept pushing guys away from her even though she looked to be enjoying the attention a little bit.

Sophie just seems like a bubbly woman that loves a good time, a party animal that inhales dares like it's crack. She seems to really love the adrenaline that comes along with being reckless. She also smokes cigarettes but not as much as she drinks rum, I think it might be the only drink I have seen her indgest besides that drink Ivy made her at the bar. Sophie seems to really like the attention men give her, I don't think it's a need for appreciation or anything sexual, rather she gets off on the fact of knowing that the men that basically throw themselves at her, could never touch her. I think it makes her feel powerful.

Speaking of feeling powerful.. Ivy. She is something else. She seems so dead set on keeping me from helping her out, doesn't matter how big or small it is. From walking her to the car or dragging her back to her house in the middle of the night. She is resisting and I want to know why, why someone will reject help for so long when they need it. She is hiding something, something that doesn't float around the surface- no, this is buried deep down in her chest. I want to find the box and not only open it, but examine what's inside and figure out what has got her so guarded and hidden away. There's something wrong with her and I want to help.