04

(1395 words)

"You know there ain't no rest for the wicked
Money don't grow on trees."

I watch the fuzzing screen light up, my wrists sore from how much I had been thrashing around. The sound of their staticky laugh echoes through the room, my eyes focusing on their lips smiling so gently. I couldn't see the fine details of their face because of how grainy the footage was, but I still felt my chest warm up.

The woman looks down at me, curiosity swimming in her sinister eyes. She glances at the screen, like she was trying to figure out what was causing me to react this way. She flicks her eyes to the man, "Ready?"

He nods. As the man walks towards the knobs and switches, the woman herself walks up from behind me.

Chris Sturniolo

The rush of people and the loud chatter was creating such a stressful atmosphere, my hands struggling to keep straight while my arms wobbled from the weight of five plates on each arm. My hair is falling out of the braid Michel did at the beginning of my shift which is making my nose itch since the ends of my hair are ghosting over my skin.

Jesus, I hate this job sometimes.

I go to my first table, giving them a big smile as I set down their food. "Okay we have the Alfredo and the regular, is there anything else I can get you guys tonight?"

The woman shakes her head, "No thank you," She smiles warmly while the man picks up his fork and huffs, beginning to eat without a word.

I nod, turning around and going to my next table. The next was a regular pair, a woman named Chloe and another named Samantha but goes by the name Sam. They always got the mushroom soup but one with sour cream on the side.

I give them their food and then move on to the next, my heart pounding into my chest with my lungs barely keeping up with my fast pace. I can feel my entire body shutting down once I go into the back and finally sit down, my head whirling like I had gotten whiplash from all of those orders.

The door opens and in comes Charlie, seeing me sitting down and sweating buckets. "Damn, might not be a good time to tell you that some people just sat in your section."

I groan, rubbing my eyes as I force myself to stand back up. "Oh by the way, one of them is really fucking hot." Charlie winks at me with a cheeky smile, making me nod at him with a tight smile.

Once I walk back into the main section of the restaurant, I scan my section to see three people sitting in one of the booths. I put my smile back on and make my way towards them, seeing that there were two girls and one boy.

"Hello, what can I get started for you guys?" I smile, pulling out my little notebook that I kept in my back pocket.

The man looks up at me, his neck and arms completely covered up with black and red tattoos, the one on his neck seemed to trail pass his shirt's collar and his eyes were a piercing blue color. "Hey man, can I get a cheese burger?"

"I'm sorry sir, we don't have burgers." I bite the inside of my cheek, waiting for him to pick something else but all he does is pinch his eyebrows together.

"What kind of restaurant doesn't have burgers?" He asks, sounding disappointed and angry at the same time. "What do you guys do when kids come in?"

"We don't normally get children in here," I mumble, standing awkwardly as the guy looks back at the menu.