Ch. 8 Can I give the truck a test drive?

Avery made herself comfortable on the couch and smiled when she saw the iconic red-orange truck. She beamed, looking happy to see the vehicle in person. 

" Is that my truck?" Avery asked. She stands up and carefully walks around the truck. 

Paul and Jacob smiled when they saw Avery looking happy. 

" Yeah! It's your truck. And here is the key for it." Jacob walks towards a counter and grabs the key. He turns and approaches Avery, holding the key to her. 

" This truck is so beautiful." Avery complimented. " My Dad told me you took the time to work on the engine to ensure the truck is safe for me to drive." She turns to look at Jacob, seeing the key in his grasp. 

" I sure did! I love working on cars. I plan on opening my Mechanic Shop here in the tribe in the future." Jacob smiled. 

" That's good that you have a goal. All you have to do is work and study hard at school to open up your Mechanic Shop. All you need is a specific degree for it." Avery takes the key and admires it. 

Jacob nodded. He felt touched that Avery was giving him advice on what to do regarding his future goal. 

Paul stands and admires the truck. " The color seems faded. Do you plan on getting a paint job? If so, I know a guy who can paint it for you." He turns his gaze to Avery. 

Avery looks at Paul and the truck. ' Paul is right. The color seems faded. I think a good paint job would be good. Of course, I want to keep the same color since it's iconic.' She internally speaks. 

" Yeah. I don't mind getting a paint job for the truck. But I want to keep the same color since I like it." Avery gently pats the truck. 

Paul nodded. " Great! Let me know when you want your truck to get painted. That way, I can let my friend know." He smiled. 

" What day is it today?" Avery asked. She pulled out her cell phone from her mini backpack and looked at it. " Ah! Today is Monday. How does Saturday morning sound?" She lifts her head and looks at Paul. 

" I'm free. And I think my friend is free too. So, let me text him and make an appointment for you." Paul pulls out his cell phone from his pant pocket and begins texting his friend, who works at an Auto Body Shop & Painting in Forks. 

" Thanks!" Avery brightly smiled. " I don't know much about cars. So, I'm glad to know at least two people who do." She looks at Paul and Jacob. 

Jacob didn't like that Paul was making himself look cool in front of Avery. However, he smiled when he saw Avery look at him. 

" I will always be there for you, Bells." Jacob honestly speaks. 

" I appreciate it." Avery nodded. " Can I give the truck a test drive?" She asked, looking excited. 

" Sure!" Jacob brightly smiled and nodded. 

" Sweet!" Avery walked towards the driver's door and unlocked the truck. She opens the door and gets inside the vehicle with ease. She puts on the seatbelt and sees Jacob enter since Paul decided to watch them drive from outside. 

" You have a driver's license, right?" Jacob asked, looking curious. 

" I do." Avery pulls out her wallet from her mini backpack and takes out her Arizona Driver's License. 

" You look tired in the picture." Jacob teases while looking at Avery's Driver's License.

Avery playfully rolled her chocolate brown eyes. " I didn't have my morning coffee." She pulled out her tongue at Jacob. 

" Sure." Jacob snickered. He puts on his seatbelt and watches Avery put her stuff away. 

" Alright! Let's start driving." Avery puts the key in the ignition and turns on the truck. She pressed the gas pedal with her right foot and drove out of the garage. 

Paul watched the truck leave the garage. He walked out and looked impressed when he saw Avery drive into the muddy area near the house and start drifting in a circular motion. 

Inside the house, Charlie watched Avery drifting in amusement. Billy finished his phone call and wheeled himself to the living room. His dark eyes blinked when he saw Charlie looking out the window. 

" Spying on the kids?" Billy amusingly chuckled. 

" Nah. I'm watching Bells drifting. Who would have thought that my daughter knew how to do that." Charlie responded, sounding impressed. 

Billy turned his gaze to the window and watched Avery drifting with Jacob inside the truck. 

" I'm impressed." Billy smiled. " And it seems as though Jacob is holding onto the handle with his dear life." He amusingly chuckled. 

" I need to tell Bella not to do that in a small town like Forks. Can't risk my little girl getting hurt." Charlie glanced at Billy. 

Billy nodded. 

" Woohoo!" Avery brightly smiled, feeling free when she drifted. She briefly glanced at Jacob and laughed when she saw him holding the handle with his dear life. 

Paul pulled out his cell phone and started filming. He was impressed by Avery's driving skills. 

" I think I am going to get sick," Jacob murmured. 

" Hey! You better not puke in my truck!" Avery warned. 

" I suggest you stop drifting so I won't puke," Jacob mumbled. 

" Party pooper." Avery playfully rolled her chocolate brown eyes and stopped drifting. She made a U-turn, drove toward the front of the house, and parked next to Charlie's police cruiser. 

" That was fun!" Avery brightly smiled. She turned off the truck and pulled out the key, putting it away safely in her pant pocket. 

Paul watched Avery get out of the truck and saw her smile at him. Seeing her smile caused him to stop filming, and he put his cell phone away. He jogged towards her and whistled, causing her to laugh. 

" You sure know how to drive." Paul complimented. " Have you done street racing back in Phoenix?" He asked, looking curious. 

Avery glanced at the house and saw Charlie and Billy looking at them from the living room. She turned her gaze to Paul and nodded. 

" Don't tell my Dad. But I used to participate in street racing to get some extra cash. I did have a part-time job, but it wasn't enough." Avery explained. 

" Understandable." Paul nodded. " And don't worry. I won't tell him." He winked, causing Avery to smile. 

" Tell him what?" Jacob asked while getting out of the truck. 

" That you almost puke in my truck." Avery teases. 

" I didn't!" Jacob blushes, getting embarrassed. 

" I said almost! Not that you did it." Avery laughed. 

Jacob's cheeks brightened, getting flustered. " I think I hear my Dad calling. Are you guys hungry? We should go eat." He turns and jogs towards the house. 

Avery and Paul watched Jacob jog towards the house in amusement. The two teens looked at each other and smiled. 

" Let's go eat. I'm starving. Airplane food wasn't enough for me." Avery begins to push Paul towards the house. 

" Yes, ma'am." Paul mockingly saluted and laughed, letting Avery push him towards the house.