Hopeful in Saratoga

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to a sunny Saratoga Springs for the Hopeful Stakes for promising two year olds.". The muffled voice of an announcer hums over the buzz of people milling about the track. The horses had yet to be saddled and bettors grew anxious. The field had a competitive group of two year olds.

I walked over to the barn. I passed by the competitors' horses and came to the second to last stall. I took the filly's halter underneath her mouth and rubbed her muzzle softly. Her head dropped and her eyes softened. Only her ears betray her comfort, her ears swiveled around alert for danger. Then I stroked her neck and leaned my head against hers. I reluctantly lifted my head, and slipped my hand away from underneath her chin, and slowly let my hand drift from her neck as I started to walk away. I looked back at her one more time, she looked at me but I turned back continued down shed row, back to the paddock, to finish getting ready.

" Riders up!" The announcer summoned the jockeys onto the horses to start the walk over. I saw my mount get ushered out of her saddling station and start her walk to me. As she neared, I was boosted on her by our trainer Mady and I put my foot into the stirrups and swung my other leg over and balanced on the massive horse. Standing an impressive 17 hands high, she towered over the other juvenile fillies and was as tall as some of the colts there. Then I was led out past the paddock and we walked over to the starting gate being led by someone who could control her excessive head bobbing, a sign of nervousness. Which I could understand. She's the third favorite with 12-1 odds and her history isn't always a favored nor honorable way to be here, she would be considered the wild horse of the field. After restraining a prancing horse, we reach the gate. That's when someone else takes her bridle and gets a tight grip ready to lead her into the gate. He circles her around and quickly pulls her into post position 6 in a 10 horse field. Below me, she tenses up and I know she knows it's time for a real run. It's as if everyone held their breath within a split second, everyone went quiet and we launched at the bell.