Moving On

Beads of sweat rolled down my neck. It felt as if every part of my body was covered in sweat. Tom led me a winners circle where a blanket of roses was gently laid on my whithers. Tom took a sponge full of water and squeezed it over my neck. I closed my eyes and tilted my head toward Tom for more and he did, but not too much. I could feel Anna elated for once in the saddle. Anna then dismounted. I watched her struggle. The gray colt tied with us had bumped us in the stretch. I had felt Anna wince but she pressed on. Now, Natasha and Mady helped her down. Her crutches were retrieved and once balanced, Mady and Natasha stood next to her. Anna's bad foot was in the air, I knew how she felt. Rachel was summoned and together, the pair walked off. Tom held my reins as I lifted my head to see where Anna went. Tom tugged gently on the reins and I followed him to the barn. At the barn, he untacked me and washed me. The vet came soon after Tom washed me. He brought his caddy as we walked to my stall. When we approached my stall, Benny was rolling around and Leo was sitting up looking at us with his gold and green eyes. The vet ran his hand down my leg. He rubbed something on my leg and then wrapped my leg in the white wrap. He then gave me a pat on the neck and walked out the stall door. Tim stayed a little while longer. He made sure that the cats had food and made sure I had plenty of water. Then he walked out and came back a moment later with shipping pads, boots, and a blanket. He put the boots and pads on first securing them before a road trip. He then gently laid the silky cool blanket on my back. The blanket was light blue with a lime green trim, it had the barn name embroidered on in silver in the corner of the blanket. Later in the day, Mady came by with Tom and led me out of the barn. I stopped as Natasha rounded up the cats. She put them in a cage that would be put right in front of me for the journey.

The cats were put in first. They were given enough food and water for the trailer ride. Then Tom gave the lead rope to Mady and Mady led me up the ramp. She tied both sides of the halter to my half of the trailer. I heard another horse bound up the ramp led by Tom. I look over to see who was next to me. White Shadow sat quietly next to me as the back of the trailer closed. I heard car doors open and close and the truck roar to life. We were off to Plimico, to capture the second leg of the triple crown.