Released

I woke up after five days in the hospital. The sun peeked through the tiny slits of the shade hanging in front of the window. Rachel appeared soon after I awoke with someone with her. She told me I could be released soon but first, " This is Dr. M, she is our foot and ankle specialist and his here to make sure you can go home." With that, Rachel strolled out of the room leaving me with Dr. M. She pulled up a chair and she prodded around my leg.

Within the week, I was released from the hospital. I ended up with a fractured left leg and my concussion subsided quickly and I was released earlier than expected. I got into the passenger seat of of the ford truck and Mady got into the driver's seat a couple minutes later. We drove about 30 miles and pulled into the stable's driveway at about 3:00 in the afternoon. I stepped down out of the truck and crutched my way into the house. Mady was already in by the time I hobbled to the table and sat down. I put my crutches on the floor and stretched out my leg, keeping my injured leg still in it's boot. Mady came over, handed me a glass of water and she joined me at the table with her own glass of water.

" We need to discuss some things regarding the racing stable's future." We sat silent for a moment until I spoke up, " Well, what are the options, we could find another jockey, we could shut down racing for the year or until I can race again, or any other suggestions." Mady had a thoughtful look in her eyes as she wondered what to do with the future of not just the barn, but the workers and crew at the stables. " I think I have an idea. If we shut down the stables, we could lose money even if we just close it for the season. So I say we get a replacement jockey for you and we will race the horses we can, deal?" I considered this for a moment then made my decision.

I crutched over to the stable's training arena and leaned against the railing. Our exercise rider, Natasha, was out riding Charging Away. When she saw me out along on the backstretch, she started to slow the colt down into the turn onto the beginning of the homestretch. She pulled up beside me, " Hello, Anna, how are you?" " Fine considering the chances, it could be worse." I chuckled a bit, " So how's this little one doing." Natasha looked down at me, " He ain't small, he is just a giant. But he has been training well. He's a little stiff, but that's what happens when a horse can't stand training in the snow, they can't stay fit." " Ya, I can't wrap my head around how a horse doesn't like a little snow he's a picky little boy." Natasha rolled her eyes, " I better get back, he just got warmed up and now he's ready to run." Sensing that they were about to get moving, he gave a little buck and ran away, before I could say goodbye. I looked at them as Natasha gained control and put Charged Away into a restrained canter, into a light gallop. He wanted more rein, tucking his head near his neck and periodically lifting his head up to see if Natasha will give him the rein. I grabbed my crutches and hobbled back to the house, my mood lightened with thoughts of a horse galloping with the wind in their mane feeling free.