Timing is Everything

I knew that Natasha would be riding me. Or I figured. When I saw Anna dismount me, I felt terrible. Now I'll make it up to her. I'll win this race, and we'll race the last.

I put on the silks that Anna had put on at the Derby. I was scared, but happy too. I knew that Survivor could pull it off. The last time I was in silks was for my very first race in Saratoga, mounted aboard Sealed Fate. I knew how he rode, but I could only hope to pull of a 9½ furlong race for a prestigious award. I walked in line with the other jockeys to where the picture would be taken. I stood next to Trey and Else. The camera flashed. It was official, I'm in the race.

I joined Jasmine and Mady in the owners box, to watch the Preakness. The announcer raffled off morning and current odds. We were the tied favorite with Sealed Fate at even money. I started to get nervous. I'd just hope that Natasha has luck in her side.

I walked over to the paddock behind some of the jockeys. I broke from the line as we passed Survivor's dark bay frame. I pulled up next to her and put my helmet on. I heard the riders up call and got a leg from Mady. I balanced on the saddle, as we were led out of the paddock. We were led down the stretch past the grandstand. The roar of the crowd spooked some horses. Survivor's ears swiveled around nervously. Then, we were led into the gate.

I knew this race was important. I tried to stay calm over the noise of the people around me. Someone yanked onto my reins and pulled me into the gate. I froze, then I tensed, waiting to run. I heard a sharp noise and the gates fly open. Without waiting for a signal from Natasha, I bolted out of the gate securing a lead. I moved to the rail and set a solid pace. I wasn't too far ahead of other horses, but that's just where I wanted to be. I didn't feel Natasha above me, try to help. I felt her start to move with me as we hit the backstretch. Then a gray horse and a horse named Majestic Beauty rode up alongside me. I felt Natasha attempt to help by giving me some rein. I took it, but I didn't speed up. We turned the far turn and Sealed Fate made his move. He charged ahead of me. I ran after him, barely using any of my speed. We were nose to nose in the stretch when Majestic Beauty came up alongside us, and started to pass us up. Natasha let out some more rein and I sped up a notch. I easily passed up both horses. I slowed down toward the finish after having a small lead on them. I saw the wire and I cantered over it with ease. Natasha stood in the saddle and pumped a fist in the air in victory. She pulled me up and Tom came over. I was barely sweating. He took my reins and gave me a good pat on the neck. He then led me off the track towards the winners circle. I was elated. I knew the next time I would race, Anna would be aboard, and maybe we could pull this off.