Final Words

I heard people tried to buy me to breed, but they were turned down. Shipping pads and boots were put on my feet and a blanket with the stable name embroidered on. Tom slipped the halter with my name plate on it and clipped a lead line to it. He led me to a trailer and walked me up the ramp. He adjusted the chest bar pads and tied each side of my halter to each side of the trailer. He slipped out the back of the trailer and closed up the ramp and shut the back of the trailer closed. I heard people walk over. I heard mutters and multiple people climb into the truck, start the car, and we drove off. I couldn't see where we were going, but I felt something sad and heavy hang in the air.

I finally had the chance to get off crutches. I climbed into the truck, wondering what Jasmine had planned. Jasmine looked at us, started the car, drove off and started speaking. " So you all know how right before the triple crown, we showed Survivor her 'home'. Well, I bought a strip of land that will remain unknown to the public. Only we know where we are taking her. It's a reserve. And I found all of them, that's where she's gonna live. I had a vet check her out and she was in perfect condition. If anyone asks, say we had to put her down for her injured foot. But, we must agree never to comeback here. We can make a grave for authenticity later." Everyone in the van nodded their heads. Natasha, Tom, Jasmine, Mady, and I just committed our deepest secret to a horse.

The trailer rolled to a halt. The ramp opened up and I was led out of the trailer. We were in the middle of nowhere. I stepped onto the soft spongy grass. The grass was long and tickled my legs. I bent down and ate some of the sweet morsels. I lifted my head up to see horse silhouettes on the horizon. I whinnied to them, thinking they might be what I've longed for. They whinnied back, it was them. I looked back at the humans around me. Jasmine came up first and said some words, hugged me, gave me a kiss, and stepped back. Mady too used the same gestures but different words. Then Tom took my halter off and gave me a pat goodbye and said that he would miss me. I turned toward Natasha and Anna. Anna looked away, and Natasha came forward. She hugged me, gave me a kiss, and said how much she loved me and she said she'd never forget me. Anna came up last. Tears streamed down her face. She hugged me and buried her face into my chest. I bent my neck down and nuzzled her hair. She looked up and the only pure genuine smile I'd ever seen was on her face. It was beautiful and delicate. Her eyes were filled with sadness and tears. She buried her face again and I wrapped my head around her. We stood there for a moment until Anna started to collect herself. She gave me a kiss on the muzzle. And whispered how much she loved me and how she would never forget me. Sadness reflected in both of our eyes. She stepped back and the rest of the people were already in the car. She hugged me one more time and climbed into the car. I knew I'd never see these people again. This was it.

The herd approached me. I nuzzled each one fondly. It felt so good to see my old friends again. The last of the herd to come up to me were my mother and father. I trotted up to them and nuzzled them as well. I then put my head between theirs and we sat there a moment. I heard the truck pull away, and I got a glimpse of Anna one last time. But the truck stopped. They wanted to see me run, free. I separated from my parents. We looked at each other. My parents took off at a canter. My friend that I'd race with ran with me. Together the herd as one ran free over the hills in joy. I glanced back, and the truck was already gone. As I charged down the hill, I knew that my life would return to as if had been before I was captured. But after living the other life, I didn't want it to be the same. Over my life, I had learned many things. Life takes you along for the ride. In good times and bad times, there always someone there for you, and life chooses those unexpected people, you never forget. If you try to hold onto the past, you'll miss the best parts of life. I've heard once that people don't miss you when you're gone, they miss you when you've moved on. And I've experienced that sometimes, those bonds can ruin you, but sometimes, it can make you stronger.