Time to Fly

I was walked onto the track to race. I started to get giddy, I wanted to race. Since arriving at the stables, I could tell Mady wanted to hold me back, but today it was different, today, I could run. Or so I thought. The track was not the best, my hooves sunk into the track slightly as I took the few precious steps before racing. We had walked the straightaway and then Tom turned me around and handed me off to someone unclipping the rope from under my chin. He walked away and I looked back, I wanted him to lead me into the gate, instead a new human tugged me, I followed him. He walked me in a circle a couple of times and then sped up his pace. he put me into the gate. Another horse next to me nudged the front of the gate. I knew it felt wrong, but I started moving forward thinking the race was starting. It wasn't and I slammed into the front of the gate. My chest started stinging and I started to back up getting nervous I wanted out. But when I backed up, I hit the back of the gate. I freaked out, I could feel Anna above me trying to calm me, but I just couldn't think straight. I reared up, thinking about when I was captured. Then, the back of the gate opened, and I fell backward. I landed hard on my leg. Pain shot through my body. I stayed on the ground for a second to catch my breath and then tried standing up. I fell back down with exhaustion. I tried again, this time I stood up on my wobbly legs, my head spinning. My head quickly cleared and before I could run, one of the people in the green shirts came and grabbed my bridle. He then was circling he around wide. I could see a vet in chalky white staring at me, like the first day after being captured at the stables. I was limping before and was again, but this time, my chest burned slightly from hitting it against the gate. Then the vet waved his hand and walked back under the rail. I halted and then someone mounted me. I sniffed her leg. I knew it was Anna, but this time, she was injured, like me. But the helper then led me back away from the gate. I heard a noise and all of the horses were released from the gates. I was led back toward the gate and put straight in them. I started to get nervous again with a vivid memory of what just occurred, but this time, I knew better than to move until Anna motioned me to. I heard a loud high pitched noise and the gate in front of me few open. Without a que from Anna, I knew it was time to fly.