Points

I had heard the news, but didn't think anything of it.

  I went to Rachel, she said there was no hope. I may see the accident in every race I participate. And there's no cure. I look out of the barn. I just wanted the wild horse to have a life of joy. Since stumbling into the trailer, her life's been scared with tragedy. I saw Mady and Tom walk over to the filly's stall. She nickered softly and Natasha and I walked over to the group. "So," Mady's voice rings over the barn noise. " She has enough points to race, what should we do?" The question hangs in the air like a heavy fog. " Well majority I guess. Who wants to race her?" " Tom. Be reasonable. Maybe Anna doesn't want to do it. Maybe we can't ship her to Kentucky in time?" " Mady, why don't we just ship here there. If there's a problem, scratch her." Some agreements were muttered. Mady complied as well. I chimed in, so it was official, " Kentucky has a wild one comin' and a filly is gonna show who's boss. " Some chuckled with me and the group dispersed. I stayed at the stall door. Survivor looked at me expectantly. I rubbed her forehead. A sliver of a smile crept onto my face. It felt good to smile. Having a mild depression really can bring you down. Horses bring me up. I unlatched the filly's stall door. I led her out and tacked her up. I grabbed a mounting block. I put my hands on her whithers and bounced a couple times on the block. I then swung myself up and over her back, landing gently on the thin saddle. I grabbed the reins and steered her out of the barn. I led her to the track. I took a deep breath and we walked onto the dirt track. I nudged her into a trot. I bounced in the saddle until I encouraged her into a canter. We sailed down the backstretch. Into the turn, I held her back a bit but we still cruised through the turn. I came up the stretch and saw Mady leaning her hands against the rail watching. I pulled up to her and looked down. She looked up. " Anna, I want you to breeze seven furlongs, a whole lap. I'll time you. Start up there." Mady indicated with her finger where to start. I veered Survivor to the inside rail and stopped at the start. Mady swung over the out side rail and drew a faint line in the dirt with her finger. Then she swung under the inside rail next to us. She raised her arm up. This was the start of Survivor's come back. She lowered her arm. The stopwatch ticked. Together Survivor and I bolted off. This was our signal, our start to life.