Progress

" Good evening ladies and gentlemen and welcome to the Arkansas Derby on a splendid afternoon." The hum of the announcer is heard over the roar of the crowd. I crutched over to barn two where my prize lay. I approached the dark bay's stall. I peeked in and the cats were winding around her legs as she tried to follow the two cats. I shuffled and the bay lifted her head and stepped over the cats making her way over to me. I nuzzled her head and she softly closed her eyes. In a flash, her head snapped up when a loud crash sounded behind me. I turned my head as did the filly looking to see who disturbed the barn. Heads started popping out as trainers and owners saw the commotion. Jenny was brushing off her pants as she got up. Jenny fell into a pile of buckets sending them tumbling. A couple of horse heads disappeared as Jenny walked over to me, her face blushing under the stares of owners and trainers. She walked over to me and stood next to me waiting for her not to be the center of attention.

" Hello Anna. I just came to check on Survivor for one last overview to prep her for later today." I nodded my head, " Oh and I forgot to add something," Jenny looked up once at me, " Joey should be coming by in a couple minutes to look you over, but Mady says she does have another jockey just in case." She walked into the stall and bent down toward the filly's left front leg. It was covered in a thick white wrap. She felt around it and on the wrap. The filly's made no move to stop her. Jenny stood up and walked back out the barn. " She's all good." Another voice sounded behind me, " Let us make sure that Anna is alright as well, the bay won't win without a jockey." Joey came up behind us and Jenny waved goodbye and walked down the isle, making sure she didn't trip on any buckets. Joey and I made our way into the jockey's room. I sat down in a bench and Joey examined my ankle. " Well, it seems to be getting better. I would suggest to try not to shift your foot during the race. And if you get bumped, don't be surprised if all you can feel is pain. If you're stuck four or three wide, especially into a turn, try to get away, because you're sure to bump your leg there." Joey sat next to me and put a hand on my shoulder. " Are you ready for this?" We locked eyes for a moment, " I will never be ready, I'm doing this for my horse. But this is the best I've felt in a while." We knew that since the accident I have a some depression. We thought maybe being in the races would help me. And Survivor.