Chapter 4: The First Dungeon

The month of December has been cast upon the world of Aincrad, with Asuna getting ready for another day of training with her mentor, Muzan. She awoke from another nightmare once again, exiting her room she passed the inn keeper NPC ignoring her praise of good fortune. Once she opened the door to exit the inn she was greeted by Muzan, this was a daily occurrence for her. Asuna questioned her mentor on what was the agenda for today.

Asuna: sooo... what's are we going to do today?

Muzan: training is cancelled for today.

This struck Asuna with confusion she began to question him once again.

Asuna: what how come?

Muzan: I will be going to the dungeon to further increase my level, this is why training is cancelled for today.

Muzan began to walk off... this wasn't uncommon for Asuna to experience due to him not being the talkative type. He would always tell her what the plan was for the day, get her to follow him and make no other conversation afterwards.

Asuna pondered on what the masked ronin said, she knew that dungeons were a great way to increase one's level and it would be her first time being at risk of being killed in this game. But she needed to do this to progress further to unleash herself from this game. At the same time she could help him find the boss to the first floor. But the fact that almost 1,000 people have died already in this game shook her to her core. She didn't want to be added to that number. But she couldn't just let her weeks of training go to waste.

Muzan was walking through the streets of the town of beginnings, heading towards the dungeon where he was going to increase his level and begin looking for the first floor boss. That was until he heard a set of footsteps running and ended up by his side. Looking at said direction he spotted the same Chestnut Haired swordswoman he has been training for the past few weeks appear next to him, he questioned her action on why she was following.

Muzan: you have the day to yourself, why follow?

Asuna: of course!!! I want to increase my level as well, I don't want all my training to go to waste now can I?

Muzan:... alright

Asuna: your not gonna to object my decision?

Muzan: I have only trained you to fight, I have no influence on your decisions nor I am your parent or guardian to tell you what to do. You make those decisions yourself.

This left Asuna in shock. All her life she was simply told what to do, and she did what she was told down to every word. Now she has met this young man that now gave her this new found freedom... it felt refreshing to say the least. A few moments past a notification popped infront of her which read >MUZAN WANTS YOU TO JOIN THEIR PARTY< she thought for a moment before moving her finger to the >YES< button.

(Time skip)

The duo were walking through the dungeon while Muzan was giving her one last lesson she was listening to every detail of the words coming out from the ronin's mouth.

Muzan: a 'Switch' is when the current player fighting the enemy yells "switch" thus another player substitutes the said player and attacks. The purpose of this 'switch' is so that the enemy doesn't have a chance to counter attack.

Asuna nodded in response, understanding the concept behind this strategy. But her train of thought was interrupted by Muzan.

Muzan: speaking of 'switches' we can do one right now

As Muzan said this a lizard man like monster spotted the duo and began to charge them. Muzan taking the first intuitive and clashed blades with the creature, breaking the creatures defence it was left wide open for an attack.

Muzan: switch!!

And with that command Asuna launched herself past Muzan and infront of the lizard man. Activating a sword skill as well and right when the skill reached its climax she unleashed it upon the creature, making it burst into crystals signifying the end of its life.

Muzan: your switching could use a bit of work, like timing but on you first try you did great.

Asuna smiled at the compliment and the tip that Muzan shared was a welcome one. Sheathing her rapier followed by Muzan as he sheathed his as well. Muzan sent a warning to the chestnut haired girl about the the dangers of dungeons.

Muzan: The mobs have been changed so that they can sneak up onto players, we should watch each other's backs so that we aren't caught off guard.

Asuna: changed??

Muzan: comparing to the beta they changed how the Mobs behave. I think this was done because of the amount of players while also making players be more on edge, checking their surroundings and what not. But since it's a "video game" many players would just overlook this fact. A foolish decision to make.

Asuna: so you were a beta tester?

Muzan: indeed

Asuna: so how far did you make it through the beta?

Muzan: I made to the 25th floor and made it to about level 83 but after that the access was denied after the 25th boss, and the next party would have to fight the same boss to prove their worth to go on the next floor.

Asuna: so this is why you know so much about the game.

Muzan only nodded.

Asuna: were you in a party?

Muzan: was... but I ended up soloing after the 12th floor. I would say I took the longest to defeat the 25th boss but that was because I was a solo. But I don't think I would be able to achieve that now since we need to work together to defeat all 100 floors.

Asuna was shocked, hearing that someone able to solo the highest level boss in a beta. It was no easy achievement and hearing it from the ronin, it seemed believable yet unbelievable at the same time. However she has heard that players solo computer games so it was believable, but still it's no easy thing to do.

After the conversation the duo continued down the dungeon killing any mob they come across, gaining as much experience as possible, they eventually cleared the dungeon but resulted in a failure to find the floor boss, however they did get value from the dungeon clearing and proceeded to head back to their homes to rest. To get ready for the next day to come.