Chapter 18: Raid

" August 8th 2024, Aincrad's 56th Floor, Pani "

Fog covered the night of Aincrad's 56th Floor. The Assault Team keeps making extraordinary progress, reaching to the 70th floor. But recently progress has begun to slow as this was caused by the actions of a murder guild. Laughing Coffin. Reports increased rapidly in such a short time with no sign of slowing down, resulting in the assault team to shift their focus on containing the murderous guild to enable them to continue to clear the rest of the floors.

Footsteps were being heard amongst the fog, manoeuvring through the floors terrain. A cloaked figure ran through the forest, as another cloaked figure chased after the first.

The first figure continued to run, looking behind them to attempt to spot their pursuer. But they couldn't... slowing down to a complete stop they began to look everywhere. The figure turned, to look at every possible hiding spot their pursuer would be but found nothing. Thinking that they were in the clear the figure released a sigh of relief, looking forward only to receive a blow to the face, rendering the figure unconscious.

- TimeSkip -

A figure began to stir awake, groggily opening their eyes to take in their surroundings. Their cloak was removed, revealing a beautiful young girl with green hair, eyes that were void of emotion and a set of unique ears. These ears were Elven ears, a rare quirk to receive in a medieval MMO but this is a game, things like this could have been added with little notice. She began to get up only to be pulled back down by ropes that wrapped around her and a tree. The elven girl looked around to quickly find a light coming from a camp fire in front of her, soon spotting the same cloaked figure she identified as her pursuer. Opening her mouth to say a word only to have the figure beat her to it.

???: Hello, Lux...

This sent a chill down the girls spine. She didn't know this player and yet they knew her name, she pushed this thought away. Making a smile she began to make an attempt to escape this situation.

Lux: I believe this is a misunderstanding, you have the wrong person, I've never heard of someone named Lux before. I was simply on my way home. Could you be so kind as to untie my restraints please?

???: I'm afraid I cannot do that...

Lux: How come?

The figure stood up and stepped closer to the light emitting from the campfire. Showing a familiar mask underneath the figure's hood.

Muzan: Because I haven't got the wrong person...

Lux: I believe you didn't hear-

Muzan: I did... Lux, of Laughing Coffin...

The girl could only look at him internally shaken. She wondered how much this player knew about her.

Lux: I've told you that this is a misunderstanding, my cursors green, I haven't done anything!

Muzan: ... Yes... I suppose.

Lux: ...

The beater began to walk towards her, giving her hope. The player crouched down to her level, extending his hand towards her. But instead of releasing the tension the ropes had, he pulled her sleeve upwards to reveal a coffin shaped insignia which lied on the top of her hand. Her face dropped, her hope shattered looking towards her masked captor, she began to speak.

Lux: So... how did you find out?

Muzan: I have my ways...

Lux: Of course you do, and if your plan is to make me tell you about Laughing Coffin's next attack, you need to think of something better.