2

CHAPTER 2

"Ow!" Neteyam complained as the Tsahik spread balm on his open wounds.

"Awh," Spider said sarcastically, "Want a kiss on the boo-boo?" Erìhe laughed and nudged him while Neteyam shot both of them a glare. She would never say she was enjoying watching him in pain - but she didn't have to, it went without saying.

"I would use yanglabark," Kiri said as she stood up. She had been preparing some sort of medication with Tuk in the corner of the tent.

"Oh, you would?" Mo'at spoke, "And who is Tsahik?"

"You are grand - move," she pushed Lo'ak out of the way, "You are, grandmother. But yanglabark is better."

"Ow!" Neteyam said again, "Ow!"

Erìhe looked at Spider and they both rolled their eyes. It could not have been enjoyable being in Neteyam's place, but making fun of him was their idea of fun.

"It stings less," Kiri finished.

"Mighty warrior," Lo'ak teased his brother.

"Fuck you, you skxawng," Neteyam picked up one of Tuk's toys and flung it at his brother. This earned him a smack from the Tsahik and complaints from Tuk.

Tuk ran over to the toy when it landed on the ground, "You broke it!" she held up the miniature wooden sturmbeest that he had thrown, "His head came off!"

Erìhe glared daggers at Neteyam. She had made that toy for Tuk. Neteyam looked down, slightly guilty, "Sorry, Tuk," he mumbled.

Tuk screamed in fury as she charged at Neteyam who could not move from his seat as the Tsahik was applying ointment to his wounds. Everyone knew not to mess with Tuk's toys if they valued their life. The girl got scarier than Toruk when something threatened her belongings.

The little girl would have knocked right into Neteyam had Erìhe not crouched down and caught her with one arm, "I'll make you another one, alright?" She smiled kindly as Tuk fought to break free of her grip, "I'll let you choose which animal."

Tuk stopped struggling in her arms and turned to look at her, "Can I have a pa'li?" She asked.

Erìhe laughed and nodded, getting to her feet and taking Tuk by the hand, leading her out of the tent, "Let us find a proper piece of wood." As they walked out, Tuk turned to stick her tongue out at Neteyam.

Spider followed them out, "Did you just save Neteyam from Tuk's wrath? Wow. You two have come a long way," he laughed as he fell into step with them.

"Don't misunderstand," Erìhe glared at him, "I didn't do it to save his ass. I stopped Tuk so that she wouldn't get in trouble," she looked down to meet Tuk's smile.

"Yeah, right," Spider rolled his eyes.

Spider helped Erìhe and Tuk with finding a suitable piece of wood. It had taken much longer than expected - Tuk was very picky. It could not be too red but it could not be too pale, and it also could not be too hard. Eventually Erìhe found her patience to be running out and she told Tuk that they would just paint it when it was done. After pondering this for a moment, Tuk had agreed and Erìhe could finally get to work.

Soon after finding the block of wood, Spider had left them to go hang out with Lo'ak and Kiri. Not long after that, Tuk had gotten bored of watching Erìhe carving the wood so she ran off to do something else.

Erìhe had found a nice spot within the fortress where she could carve the wood in piece. The ground before her was already littered by small wooden chips by the time that she heard someone approach.