48

CHAPTER 48

       Erìhe did not know how, but by some miracle - perhaps Eywa's grace or the battle that suddenly broke out - Neteyam and herself found themselves able to shake off the submarine persistent on catching them. But even though they had time to take a breather, they weren't naive enough to not know what was happening around them.

The taking of the others had just been the start to a truly horrific tragedy, as the two of them came to fully understand when their heads emerged from the water. Erìhe looked at the great mothership with a terrified expression before leaning forward to speak into Neteyam's ear.

"They have taken them. They took Tuk, Tsireya, and Lo'ak," she gasped, still recovering from having held her breath for such a long time. "They've taken them - we must get them back," she repeated herself, not really sure wether she was speaking to Neteyam or herself.

Neteyam turned his head to meet her frantic eyes which he noticed were darting back and forth between the large ship and just about everything else in eye sight. "I know. I saw them."

It was as if Erìhe had not even heard him. "Quaritch took them. Is he holding them for ransom? What does he want? We have to save them." She had a bad feeling that she knew exactly what he wanted to achieve by taking the kids but she did not wish to dwell on that fact right then.

The boy could see that there was no point in trying to calm her - he had a hunch that she would finally think straight once she saw the other again. Neteyam took a hold of her hand, placing it around his waist so that she would get the hint and hold onto him so as to not fall off the ilu. "Let's go get them," he offered her a small smile instead of showing her how fearful he truly felt at that moment. He wanted to stay strong. He had to - it was what his father had taught him to do.

For the first time, Erìhe met his eyes and gave him a determined nod while fastening her grip around his middle before the two returned under water to race toward the ship.

₊˚.༄

       The next time Erìhe and Neteyam emerged from the ocean, Neteyam willed the ilu to jump high into the air right next to the mothership. Simultaneously, the two teenagers leapt off the animal and grabbed onto the metal railing of the ship and pulled themselves up and onto the deck.

Erìhe could hear Tuk before she could see her: "Neteyam!" The girl called hopefully as she watched her brother run over to them, his knife in hand to cut them free of their restraints. When the youngest saw Erìhe run to them behind Neteyam, she squealed in excitement and relief of seeing both of them okay.

"Hey, baby brother," Neteyam teased as he bent down to cut Tsireya free, "Need some help?"

If it were any other situation, Erìhe would have scoffed and rolled her eyes. But with the situation being what it was, she only hurried to kneel beside Tuk, pulling out her own knife and begun hacking at the fabric cuffs - ignoring the snarky conversation going on between the two brothers.

"Erìhe, you're alright," Tuk sighed with a large grin, squeezing her newly released hands into fists as if to make sure they were still working after being so tightly bound.

"Of course, I'm alright," Erìhe assured her, realising her voice sounded breathless from the relief of them all being well. She pulled the little girl into a quick hug, not having time to dwell on any feelings - relief or any other - she had to pull away soon. "Let's get out of here, okay? Let's get you safe," she rose to her feet and pulled Tuk toward the railing from which her and Neteyam had climbed to get aboard.