51

CHAPTER 51

Neytiri's wailing never ceased even as Ronal busied herself over Neteyam, mumbling words under her breath and setting down all the things she had brought with her. Unlike his wife, Jake had gone completely silent; he seemed to be listening to something the others couldn't hear.

It was not hard to guess what he'd been listening to when he suddenly turned to Lo'ak and spoke up: "Where are your sisters?" He asked. When Lo'ak only looked up at his father, not able to give him an answer, Jake pushed harder. "Your sisters. Where are they?"

"I don't know," Lo'ak spoke softly, averting his eyes once again.

"Where are they?" Jake repeated. He was shouting by now, and Tsireya - not wanting Lo'ak to be yelled at - spoke quickly: "They are on the ship. They are tied up on the ship," she told him, tears running down her face.

"They're - they're at the moon pool," Spider stammered and Jake looked toward him. "At - at the well deck. Midships."

Jake frowned as he tried to make sense of Spider's rambling, "What?" He asked.

Spider got to his feet and took Jake's hand, attempting to pull him up with himself, "Come on. I'll show you," he offered, "Come on," he repeated as Jake rose to his feet to follow.

Erìhe realised then that she hadn't told anyone that she had felt Neteyam's pulse, that he was still alive, and that perhaps she should. She watched Ronal lean down and listen for his heartbeat and they met each others eyes when the older woman leaned back up with wide eyes. The Tsahik nodded at her, wordlessly communicating with the girl, letting her know that what she'd felt was real. Erìhe let out a long breath, subconsciously holding onto Neteyam's hand and giving it a light squeeze.

Neytiri watched with a small frown as the Tsahik began looking through her supplies. If her son was dead, what did she need her healing herbs and balms for? "Is he.. Neteyam - he's alive?" She whispered, looking back and forth between Ronal and her son.

The Tsahik did not look up at Neytiri as she nodded. The woman let out a loud gasp and quickly turned to look toward Jake. "Ma Jake," she spoke as she held out a hand toward her husband, a small smile gracing her features, "Neteyam is alive."

Jake walked back over to them and held Neytiri's hand. He was overjoyed to hear the news, but he couldn't really get his hopes up just yet: even if he was still alive, that could change whenever. He did not want to leave his sons side, given as he was in such critical condition, but his daughters remained on that ship and they weren't going to get themselves out. "We've gotta go," he told her, but his eyes lingered on Neteyam. "They've got our daughters."

Neytiri's smile slipped as she blinked up at Jake and took in the news. She seemed to be in conflict with herself. She couldn't just leave Neteyam, but she had to save her daughters. Her brows furrowed with sadness as she leaned down to press a short kiss onto her sons forehead before took her bow from the ground and met Jake's eyes again. "Let's go get our daughters," Jake told her.

Neytiri nodded solemnly before getting up, turning around and walking over to her ikran while breathing heavily. Whoever had hurt her son was going to pay for it with their life, Erìhe knew this.

The girl silently watched Neytiri mount the animal and then take off. She could only pray that her and Jake would be okay and make it back. She looked over just in time to see Jake telling Lo'ak to stay there with Neteyam, and Lo'ak asking to go with him.

Jake's cold response shocked her. "You've done enough," he told his son as he turned around. Maybe he would soon come to regret saying this, but Erìhe could see no sign of it on his face as he walked over to the water.