45

CHAPTER 45

Lo'ak glanced past his shoulder to make sure no one had followed him. Calling his ilu, he angrily thought about the hypocrisy of the clan. They cared so much about the tulkun, but he was sure that not even a single one of them had spared a thought to Payakan or warning him of the sky people.

So the job was his.

As his ilu emerged from the water, Lo'ak walked back over to the rack to take his saddle so that he could place it on its back. The animal allowed Lo'ak to slide the saddle over its head as it chirped happily.

"No way you're running out of here, baby brother."

Startled, Lo'ak turned to the source of the voice, surprised to see his brother, "I have to warn Payakan about the trackers," he said.

"No," Neteyam disagreed, walking closer, "You have to keep your skxawng ass here," he was wearing a smile, as if he were merely teasing the younger.

"He's outcast! There's nobody to warn him but me!" Lo'ak said angrily as he felt his temper rise. There was no time for this. The hunters were searching for tulkun pray at that very moment - Lo'ak was sure of this.

"Bro," Neteyam said, placing a hand on top of Lo'ak's head and shaking it, "Why do you always have to make things so hard?" He laughed slightly.

Lo'ak hit his hand away angrily and looked at him with a scowl, "No," he started, "You mean why can't I be the perfect son like you? The perfect little soldier."

Neteyam ears twitched as he looked down at his younger brother. Soon he scoffed and stepped back while shaking his head as his ears twitched at his words. He could not believe that his brother had such poisonous thoughts. He had to know that Neteyam never wanted to make him feel bad, right?

Lo'ak's voice gradually rose as he spoke his next words, "Well I'm not you! Okay?!" He yelled, "I'm not you. He's my brother! I'm going."

Neteyam - by now furious - stepped forward, trying to stop his brother from leaving, "Lo'ak!" He said. Lo'ak turned around to walk away and Neteyam grasped onto his arm to pull him back, "He's your brother?" He made his brother turn to face him, "No. I'm your brother," he seethed.

Erìhe could have stayed with Tsireya and her friends for a long time, but she'd gotten a gut feeling that she should search for Neteyam instead. And sure enough - when she'd heard Lo'ak's voice, she'd known that there was an argument.

At first she had battled between going to them or letting them be, but after just seconds of internal debate she'd decided to follow their voices anyways.

And as she'd already known, she walked over to see the two brothers fighting.

Despite her sadness and grief, Tsireya had seen Lo'ak walking out of the meeting and she'd wanted to know where he was going. "Lo'ak!" She called. She had come over with Níawi, Aluva, Rotxo and Ao'nung by ilu, and pulled herself up onto the path just as Lo'ak pulled his arm out of Neteyam's grip.

"Get off me," Lo'ak said and briefly met Erìhe's eyes before he turned and dove into the waters.

"Lo'ak!" Neteyam yelled furiously as he took a step toward the edge of the path.

"What happened?" Erìhe asked and walked over to place a hand on his shoulder.

"Come on, he's going to Payakan," Neteyam placed his hand over Erìhe's and used his grip on her to pull her along with him. He hurried to the edge of the water to call his ilu and once his one had appeared, Neteyam turned to look at Erìhe, "Come with me," he said.