35

CHAPTER 35

Laughable. Stupid. Ridiculous.

Those three words were the only thing that Erìhe repeated over in her head. It was as if every other thought had been thrown out of her mind and all she could think about was her embarrassment.

She was laying on her mattress in the pod, trying to sleep.

It was not going well for her.

Erìhe was rolling around in bed, trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in. Instead of drifting off like she wished, her mind kept replaying the mortifying memories of that evening. How could she embarrass herself like that?

She did not believe in all the "boys should make the first move" bullshit - but in this moment she was very much against being the first to show her feelings.

Precisely due to the possibility of rejection and embarrassment - which had now happened to her.

Whereas Erìhe was sure that Neteyam now knew of her feelings - said boy lay wide awake on his own mattress. He'd been able to hear her shuffling about all night, but he could not bring himself to say anything.

It was like his mind told his body to sit up, but his body would not oblige. He kept counting to three in his mind - swearing that he would get up on three - and always remain laying down without having even tensed a muscle.

It was a nightmare.

While Erìhe felt embarrassment, Neteyam felt regret. He should have kissed her back. Why on earth would he ever pull away when the girl who he liked so much was kissing him?

Even if he'd been uncertain of her feelings for him, he regretted that he did not just live in the moment and kiss her. He could have asked her of her feelings after.

They could have sorted it out later, but had he not pulled away he could have at least lived happily after being allowed to kiss her.

Neteyam rubbed his eyes as he fought the urge to bang his head against the floor of the pod.

Would he ever get another chance like that?

₊˚.༄

Erìhe knew that you could not escape your problems by running. But she did not care.

Avoiding was the way she rolled.

The morning after the horrifying incident, Erìhe had struck up conversation with Níawi, creating plans to hang out with her for the entire day.

Though Eríhe loved her new friend - all this was of course merely to stay away from Neteyam. She could not help the grimace that made its way into her face each time she glanced at the boy and she knew he noticed.

"What is it?" Níawi asked as the two girls stood knee deep in the shallow waters with Tsireya and Aluva. Erìhe had been helping them with gathering pretty shells for the seamstress. Her and Níawi were talking while the other two stood some distance away, searching shells from deeper in the water. "Come on - it is obvious that something happened."

Erìhe groaned as she bent down to grab a shell from where it lay, partially hidden under the sand. It was just before lunch and the sun shone brightly on them, giving them light as they worked.

"Tell me," Níawi begged, placing a hand on Erìhe's arm as she practically whined, "I know every bit of gossip on this island and it will bother me not to know."

Erìhe's annoyed groan turned into light laughter, "You're so annoying."

Níawi grinned, "Tsireya says so too!" She told her this as if it were a compliment to be called annoying. Then she slapped Erìhe's arm, "Now tell me."