44

CHAPTER 44

"Dad - what happened?" Neteyam asked as he approached his father. He was yet to see Erìhe headed toward them with his mother.

Jake looked at his son before handing a device to him, "Take this," he told him while pulling him by the upper arm to stand among other villagers and warriors.

Neteyam looked down at the device and his eyes widened upon seeing the alien technology. He felt the panic rising in his throat - but he chose to ignore the feeling. While allowing himself to be guided forward by his father, he inspected the chunk of metal in his hands.

It was painted red and seemed to be a sort of harpoon - he knew he would soon get to know what they were used for, but he did not even want to know. Anything that the sky people did on their planet was bad.

Erìhe and Neytiri reached the meeting point soon after most of the villagers had settled into a crowd, leaving room in front for the Olo'eyktan and Tsahik to speak.

"Did something bad happen?" Erìhe asked Neytiri. The answer she received was the shake of the head from the older woman - telling her to be quiet and listen to what was to be said next.

When Neteyam picked up on Erìhe's voice over the crowd, his eyes landed on her. "Erìhe-" he called, and was about to step in her direction when he remembered that his father needed him.

Erìhe heard him and soon his wide eyes were met with her just as large, panicked eyes. Neteyam felt unease come over him as he wished to go over to her - to hold her or just stand beside her. He wondered if she already knew what had happened, or if the fact that she did not know was what made her look so scared.

Ronal rose onto the pedestal situated in the middle of the crowd. "My spirit sister and her baby have been murdered by the sky people!" she called and was met by many gasps by the people. There was grief and determination in her voice which made the whole situation graver.

Erìhe's hand covered her mouth as she turned her head to look at Neytiri. The older woman could only look down, not even able to meet her eyes.

After her initial unwillingness to leave the forest, Neytiri had been desperate to get her family and Erìhe away from the sky people. Knowing that this had failed and the danger had only followed them here made her feel as though she had failed as a mother to her own children, and as a mother figure to Erìhe.

Erìhe drew in a shaky breath as she let her eyes scan over the crowd. Everyone present seemed either furious or distraught - she could easily understand why.

All her life Erìhe has connected with the nature and animals - just like any other Na'vi - but learning about the Tulkuns connection with the Metkayina was just entirely different. The tulkun were not animals whom you bonded with for the sake of riding or flying with them - they were family to these people.

Tonowari snarled as he spoke up, "This war has come to us!" He announced, "We knew about this hunting of our tulkun people, but it was over the horizon - far away!" He hit his spear to the ground, "Now it is here!"

His speech was met by furious cries from the people. Neytiri nudged Erìhe and together they finally walked over to Jake and Neteyam.

The minute that they had approached, Neteyam let go of the device with one hand to wrap his fingers around Erìhe's wrist. He squeezed her hand gently as he pulled her closer, turning his head to look at her and see her expression.

Erìhe could not care less that they stood right by his parents, and that anyone in the crowd could see them - no one would care if a couple of teenagers held hands in a situation like this. The moon didn't revolve around them and there was more pressing matters.