37

CHAPTER 37

Erìhe's smile grew tenfold when she heard his words - suddenly she no longer felt anger or embarrassment.

It was as if Neteyam had handed off his previous confidence to her - he cursed himself for it.

He was left flustered and short of breath while Erìhe smiled at him victoriously. It was as if they had somehow - on whatever grounds they could - made this a competition too. Which was ridiculous, really, since neither of them had been sure of the others feelings.

"Really?" Erìhe asked.

Neteyam swallowed harshly as he watched the girl shuffle the smallest bit closer to him. They were both sat cross-legged across from the other and by now their knees were brushing against each other's.

"What?" Neteyam said blankly. There did not seem to be a single thought behind his eyes as he gazed at her. In reality he was just very distracted by the way she was looking back at him.

Erìhe chuckled softly, her eyes looking down at her paint-covered hands momentarily, "I asked if you really liked me," she grinned.

Neteyam was blinking rapidly as he looked at her. "Well - yes. I do - I like you," he figured that there was no point denying it anymore. He had wasted enough time chasing her already. If there was any hope of her liking him back - he might as well find out now.

Erìhe's eyes fluttered to meet his, and before he could even register it, her hand was resting on his knee and she was drawing closer. Neteyam glanced down at her hand. The yellow paint from her fingers was now also on his skin - but he was soon distracted by her face right in front of his.

"You do?" Erìhe was by now aware of the effect she had on him. He fought to control his expression, but the blush that crept on his cheeks and the swishing of his tail gave away his excitement and nervousness. "You like me?" She teased him.

Neteyam's hand gripped the wrist of her hand that was rested on his knee, "Yes," he said breathlessly. "A lot," he added under his breath.

Not being able to hide her smile, Erìhe drew ever so slightly closer. Their breaths mixed together from the proximity of their lips.

Neteyam's eyes closed as a frown found its way on to his face while his free hand lifted to perch itself on her waist.

He was about to give in - he was about to kiss her - when suddenly something came to him. "Wait," he said with his voice barely a whisper.

Erìhe still wore her smile as she leaned back ever so slightly - just so that she could admire his face.

Neteyam looked down as he furrowed his eyebrows, not daring to look at her as he spoke, "What about you?"

"What about me?" Erìhe almost smirked at the nervousness mixed with excitement that was evident in his voice.

"I said I liked you," he whispered.

Erìhe's smile fell ever so slightly. Just the corners of her mouth drooped the smallest bit and there was a change in her eyes. He sounded so vulnerable and scared - it registered to her that this was because of her kiss with Ao'nung.

Neteyam did not want to be some other guy she kissed just because she could.

He needed to know how she felt.

He had to hear her say it.

Neteyam's other hand made it's way to hold her waist as well as his thumbs drew small patterns on her sides. "I need you to say it," he said in a voice so quiet that she would not have heard him had their faces not been so close to the other.