47

CHAPTER 47

"We gotta go!" Lo'ak told Tuk and Erìhe before all four of them drew in deep breaths and returned under water.

Just as Tsireya had said - a machine was headed right toward the plant, and Erìhe barely had time to glance over her shoulder to watch as it approached. Her hand was placed on Tuk's back and she helped the girl swim forward by pushing her.

Tsireya held a hand out to stop Erìhe from swimming forward once they had made it past a big leaf that momentarily blocked them from seeing anything on their right side. Erìhe squinted and could see a machine headed toward them from that direction, so she quickly urged Tuk to swim in the other direction.

The four of them desperately swam in the opposite direction but soon came to realise that it was of no use when a net was flung toward them, enveloping itself around them.

Erìhe could see the opening of the net beginning to close and she sprung into action, swimming toward the opening as Lo'ak did the same. The two of them managed to get out of the net and Erìhe held her hand out to Tuk so that she could pull the girl out as well.

Tuk hadn't even had enough time to grasp the girls hand when one of the avatars dove into the water with his ikran, the animals claws closing in on the ends of the net - closing the opening and making it impossible for the two girls to pull themselves out.

Tuk and Tsireya let out terrified cries when they were pulled above the water by the man on his ikran. The animals wings flapped wildly as it steadily carried the net over the water towards the big ship.

Erìhe and Lo'ak clung to the net, determined to not let go.

"Watch out!" Lo'ak suddenly said. Erìhe looked over to see that he had pulled out his knife and was now hacking at the net, trying to create an opening for Tsireya and Tuk to get out from. "Move your hand!" He told Tsireya. As Erìhe brought her hand over her knife to do the same, Lo'ak shook his head, "Go get help! Let go!"

"Are you crazy!?" Erìhe yelled over the sound of flapping wings, "What help would I even get?!"

"No! Erìhe!" Tuk moved inside the net to face Erìhe. The older girls eyes softened as she realised how desperately Tuk wished for her to stay with them.

"Just go!" Lo'ak grunted as he pulled on his knife, cutting the net.

Tsireya nodded frantically, "Go!"

Erìhe groaned in frustration before her head turned to look at the ship. If she was going to let go, she had to do it now. But she could not imagine what the others wanted her to do. Down in the water were machines whose sole purpose was to capture and bring them to the ship. And she did not even have an ilu so that she could escape.

"Erìhe! Get out of here!" Lo'ak yelled.

Erìhe looked back at Tuk who was shaking her head frantically. "I'll come get you," she whispered, then turned back to Lo'ak, "Cut them free!"

"Yeah I will - just go!"

And with that, Erìhe let her fingers slacken and she felt herself falling through the air toward the water.

"Erìhe!" Tuk cried with panic in her voice as she watched the girl plummet.

Erìhe crossed her arms over her chest and closed her eyes as she fell through the water.

Once she felt the water around her body, her eyes opened and she opened up her arms, preventing herself from falling further toward the bottom of the ocean before she kicked off and started swimming.