46

CHAPTER 46

"Three, two - pull!" The teenagers chanted as they all took in a deep breath on two before using all their might to pull at the device.

Tuk remained standing next to Erìhe as she worked with the others. One hand rested on her shoulder to provide herself with a sense of safety while her head was turned in the direction of the ship - watching it draw closer.

"It's coming!" Erìhe called despite the fact that everyone was well aware and fighting against their own panic.

Suddenly Neteyam let go of the device, sliding into the water and swimming closer to his ilu. Erìhe could not spare him even a glance as he reached for a long rope from the animals saddle and hurried to tie it around the leather. "Ao'nung!" He threw the other end of the rope to the boy before resuming his job of fastening it around the loop in the saddle.

"Bro, hurry up!" Lo'ak called to his brother from over his shoulder.

Erìhe let go of the device momentarily as Ao'nung struggled to tie the rope around the device with shaky hands. "Hurry up!" She begged as her eyes inevitably strayed over the horizon to see the ship.

Finally, Ao'nung had managed to fasten the rope around the device and he looked up at Neteyam, "Go, go, go!" He urged while Neteyam slid onto the ilu's back.

"Take it off!" Neteyam yelled as he willed the ilu to take off. The animal struggled to set off as the rope tightened and they attempted to pull the device out.

"Everyone - together!" Tsireya called and placed her foot on the device to push it out. Lo'ak and Rotxo pulled on the rope and did their best to help Neteyam and the ilu with pulling the device out.

Erìhe's hands wrapped around the device as her jaw clenched. Together with the others they all strained and pulled at the harpoon with all the strength they had in them.

"All at the same time!"

"Hurry up!" Tuk said desperately as her hand tapped on Erìhe's shoulder uncontrollably with her eyes still glued on the ship. She could not do anything but hope the older teenagers would get the device out before the sky people were too near.

"Pull harder!" Tsireya said as she saw the ship.

"Pull!" Neteyam yelled.

Erìhe turned her attention back to the device and she could see it's resolve crumble. They weren't far from freeing Payakan from it. The group of teenagers strained once more, screwing their eyes shut as their jaws clenched.

With one last tug - the device was out.

The teenagers fell into the water with startled yells and gasps, all shocked that it has let out so suddenly.

When Erìhe emerged from the water - spluttering from having inhaled a mouthful of saltwater - she looked around to see everyone already swimming toward their ilu's.

"It's out! Erìhe, it's out!" Tuk screamed joyously as she jumped from Payakan's back into the water right beside her.

"Go - go, Tuk!" She said in response and started pushing the girl toward Kiri who was already getting onto their ilu.

"Come on! Get out of here!" Neteyam said as he gathered the rope in his hands, taking the device. He swam closer to Erìhe, who was helping Tuk get onto Kiri's ilu behind her. "Go that way!" He pointed far off, "I'll draw them out."

"Neteyam - no!" Erìhe's eyes were wide with fright and concern for the boy as she swam toward him.

Neteyam pushed her lightly away from him as she neared - he did not wish for her to get on his ilu and be put in the kind of danger he was placing himself in. "Go with Kiri and Tuk - I'll be fine," he told her calmly despite the urgency of the situation. His hand briefly cupped her cheek, brushing his thumb along her cheekbone. He wanted nothing more than to be able to wipe the scared look from her face but he knew he had to pull back. "Go, now!"