31

CHAPTER 31

       "I swear I never told him anything - he found out on his own-"

Lo'ak was walking backwards in front of Neteyam and Erìhe so that he could speak to them.

The moment Jake had arrived at the pod, Lo'ak had known that he was aware of the fight between Neteyam and Ao'nung. Not wasting any time the boy had scurried out in search for his brother while his father was left fuming back in the home.

The three were now making their way back to the pod.

The walk had been awkward up until the moment that Lo'ak had shown up. Erìhe had felt like she needed to say something - but hadn't known what - whereas Neteyam simply had not figured out anything to say. He was too terrified of the possibility that she viewed him as a brother.

"Do you think dad will kill me?" Neteyam asked Lo'ak.

Lo'ak nodded, "For sure," he confirmed, "And if he doesn't, then that's just unfair. I get into trouble over the smallest things."

Erìhe sighed, "Lo'ak, that's just because you continuously do stupid things."

Lo'ak turned around so that he was facing forward, "Not true," he mumbled towards no one in particular - he knew it was true.

When they at long last arrived by their home, Neteyam was almost shaking with fear. Yes, he got grounded often - but that was always because he either took the blame for Lo'ak or joined his brother in doing something that'd get him in trouble. He had actually never gotten in big trouble before - making his parents proud was too important to him.

"You'll be fine," Erìhe assured the boy as they neared the entrance, "Me and Lo'ak will be there too."

"Not me," Lo'ak shook his head before bolting.

Erìhe smiled bitterly as she watched the younger boy running away. She turned back to Neteyam, "I will be there," she corrected her last statement.

"No you won't."

Both of the teenagers' heads snapped to the entrance. Jake stood there, Tuk by his side.

"Dad-" Neteyam started to say.

Jake held a hand up to stop him from talking, "I'll deal with you soon," he said rather harshly, then nudged Tuk toward them, "Erìhe, take Tuk and hang out with your friends or something."

Erìhe looked back and forth between the father and his son as Tuk walked over to grab her hand. She grimaced as she tried imagining the scolding that Neteyam was bound to get.

"Go on," Jake urged.

Erìhe frowned, "Alright," she hung her head as she turned away from the entrance of the pod. As she passed Neteyam she smiled at him sorrily, "You'll be fine," she mouthed.

Neteyam seemed to understand what she'd told him as he nodded the tiniest bit. The two walked past each other - Erìhe down the path with Tuk and Neteyam inside the pod toward his father.

"What did Neteyam do?" Tuk looked up at Erìhe innocently as they walked further down the path.

"Nothing bad, don't worry," Erìhe smiled at her, "Want to go to the warm pools?" She decided to switch the topic.

"Yes!" Tuk cheered, immediately excited again.

₊˚.༄

"What the hell were you thinking?" Jake demanded. Not even a minute had passed since Erìhe and Tuk had left.