NASA?

(Germany's POV)

 The morning light filtered through the slats of metal and woke me up. My clothes and hair were uncomfortably damp, and the tarp I slept on was wet. 

 Looking up, I saw the ceiling dripping. 

 Just my luck. 

 I got up, stiff from the boards I had laid on. The grainy wood was rough against my hands. I almost convinced myself I would wake up back home, and that this was all just a bad dream. I guess I was wrong. 

 Taking in my surroundings, I could hear loud sounds outside, talking, and the clashing of metal. The fishermen must have returned with their first catch of the day. 

 I gathered my things, buttoned up my satchel, and threw the tarp back by the boat. Shame gathered inside my lungs. Committing crimes wasn't new to me, although I hated breaking and entering. It was comparable to entering the lavatory when someone was already inside. 

 Still, no matter how much remorse or guilt I felt, I had nowhere to stay, and none of this era's currency. No way to get home either.

 I wanted to sit down and cry again, but that would accomplish nothing.

 Pulling open the steel gates, a bright light blinded me for a minute before the world was revealed. 

 Men pulled nets onto their boats, others carrying huge nets of fish up onto the dock. Fishermen and captains of boats called orders to one another. More boats left as others arrived every minute. 

 The blinding light of the sun reflected on the sloshing water. I couldn't look away from the spectacle. Nothing could ever compare to this. Salt spray filled my nose, and for once it was actually refreshing. 

  I closed the metal door hurriedly, looking around for a chance to escape the commotion. 

  The cliffs towered above the docks, casting a vast shadow over the boats. Dawn light still filtered through the grass at the top of the hill. Good, I didn't sleep in. I couldn't waste any more time here, being tried for treason wasn't on my bucket list of life accomplishments. 

 Scurrying past the warehouses, I made sure to hold onto my satchel tightly. I couldn't afford to lose anything else. Returning to the shoreline, the sand crunched beneath my shoes. I could see the pale frothing water bubble up from the wood of the pier, and somehow I knew everything would work out for me. 

Somehow.

 I began searching through the sand, but I knew it was useless. The tide would have carried the capsule away. 

 Frustration overwhelmed me. How could I be so stupid? My hands shook as I dug through the gritty sand, shells cutting my fingers and kelp wrapping around my arm. At this point, the frantic digging was pure desperation. No sort of logic had any control over me anymore.

 A crab emerged from the sand and was pulled in by the waves. 

 Birds flew overhead, of a variety I couldn't identify. They were white and grey, with yellow beaks. Flocking together, they made a horrifying and obnoxious noise.

 Earth may have been beautiful, but it was also disgusting. Everything here smelled funny, and the noises were vulgar. That was the only way I could explain them.

 I sat back in the sand in defeat. 

 My hair was slicked back with dirt and grease, and moldy seawater. My clothes were starting to smell. 

 I breathed in the air, sand blowing into my eyes. 

 Calculating my chance of making it out of here alive, I felt the slight enthusiasm I had for the day wither.