Beaches and Vistas

(America's POV)

It was a battle convincing Germany to get into the car with me. He kept refusing and stating that it was a 'death trap' and a machine straight from 'Calvar'. I asked what the hell he was talking about, and he refused to elaborate. 

Talking with him was becoming increasingly frustrating. It felt like he believed I was too stupid to understand anything he said.

I wanted to understand him better, get to know him, except he wouldn't let me.

Running a hand through my hair, I gritted my teeth, trying not to yell at the shorter man.

"Come on, Ger, please? I would love to walk with you, but it's too far. We have to drive. I'll go slow, I promise."

I turned to face him after setting the basket of food in the back seat. Taking a few steps toward him, he looked away from my stare.

He stood with his back against the garage door and clutched his satchel like it was worth a million dollars.

I wondered what he was so afraid to lose.

Swiftly, I shut the car door and walked up to him, standing an arms length away from his lithe frame. The morning sun cast a glare over the paint of the car, and the reflection was shining in his coffee black hair.

He pressed himself up against the garage door and turned his face to the side, avoiding me.

Looking down at him, I noticed he bit his lips so hard they began to bleed. His hands were shaking ever so slightly as he held his satchel at his waist.

"Ger-?" I whispered. Concern filled my tone.

A moment of silence lay thick between us. I looked at him earnestly, trying to read his empty expression.

"It'll be ok. I swear." I tried convincing him, but he never met my gaze.

The wind blew his curls over his eyes. I wanted so badly to close the space between us, but what if someone saw us? Or worse - what if he wasn't interested?

I looked around quickly, scanning the trees and road for visitors. Once I knew it was clear, I felt a rush of adrenaline and butterflies swarm my stomach and chest.

It was now or never I assume. Besides, why would he link his arm with me earlier if he wasn't interested? I figured the odds were in my favor.

Hesitantly, I reached out and took his hand in mine, lifting our palms together.

Immediately, Germany looked up at me, shock and confusion filling his golden eyes.

He was pressed firmly against the garage door, and his head was tilted up to meet my eye level.

"It's ok." I said softly. I leaned in before stopping short. Our faces were just inches apart. I felt his shaky breath on my neck, and he looked like a deer in headlights.

Finally, after what seemed like days, he looked down and cursed under his breath. At least, I assumed it was a curse. It sounded like a foreign language, one that I had never heard before.

Instinct overcame me, and I lifted his hand and kissed the back of it. The red band across his cheeks turned a deep maroon color afterward, and he continued looking down. I couldn't see his features or whether he was smiling. I hoped he was-

The gesture lasted only seconds, but the intimacy of it all made it feel like hours. I honestly couldn't believe I was doing this out in my driveway. but the fear couldn't compare to the rush of emotions I felt when I was so close to Germany- 

God, what am I doing? Why am I so crazy about him?

I let our hands drop, and though Germany stayed silent, he never made any movement to pull our hands apart.