Stars

Germany's POV

The sky darkened with each passing minute. The sun set over the ocean, and the skies were clear and shiny like obsidian. I was standing behind a grove of trees, looking into a field with huge structures of metal and wood. Rows and rows of tents lined the field, and people swarmed between them, eating and talking and laughing.

There was an enormous circle in the sky with lights and small seats attached every few feet on the circle. It gently turned around and around, moving through the sky like a giant halo. I had never seen anything like it.

I could see America standing patiently by the ticket stand, dressed in jeans and a white and red floral short-sleeved dress shirt.

For some reason, I couldn't face him. I couldn't because I knew if I spent tonight with him, I'd never want to leave.

I watched as he paced back and forth, fixing his hair obsessively and scanning every face he saw come up to the stand.

Guilt consumed me, but I still didn't move closer. I couldn't face him. I needed to stay on my objective. Stay out of emotional affairs. That could only lead to disaster. At least, that's what our training always drilled into us.

'Never get close to your study subjects. You are there to document and report. Nothing more.' The words rang out in my head.

I had to turn away because I just couldn't face watching America become more and more dejected with every second.

I swallowed hard and decided I needed to follow him home. It pained me to make this decision. It felt wrong. Everything I stood for was being questioned. Do I leave him be, and leave my pride and sanity intact? Or do I manipulate him and invade his privacy to achieve a means to an end?

I groaned, weighing the variables. Ultimately, no matter how much I wanted to get to know America, I simply didn't belong here. Who knew how many events I've already affected just by standing here. America's life has been permanently altered all because I selfishly eavesdropped on his conversation at the diner.

My own life was altered as well. My whole life potentially ruined just because I wanted to explore.

I rubbed my face, sighing. Staying on task, that's what I needed to do. Finding the capsule and getting home was the only thing I could focus on if I wanted to make it out of here. I needed to make it out of here, alive, and I needed to be able to escape the Board once I got back home.

So here I'll stay. Watching as America deteriorates and sinks into a depression.

I lost track of how long I stayed hidden in the trees, but eventually, America was thrown off of the property. I could tell he was dejected and hurt, and he started walking away from the lights and music from the festival and tents. 

I felt awful about standing him up, but I couldn't afford the consequences of not finding that capsule. I needed to know for sure if he had it.

He walked slowly in the dark, hands in his pockets. Occasionally, he would look up into the sky and stand still for a moment, as if questioning the universe. I followed him far behind, not wanting to draw attention to myself. Eventually, we got to a street of shabby, crumbling homes behind a line of eucalyptus trees. The road was cracked and bleached by the sun, and the paint was chipping off the wooden sidings of the homes. America stumbled up to a brown house that looked like the roof was about to cave in. I must've scuffed my shoe moving along the dirt because America stopped mid-way unlocking his door and scanned the hedge. 

I didn't dare breath. 

"Hello?" I watched silently as he shrugged and started unlocking his door once again.