Sticks and Twine

Germany's POV

 America and I said short, awkward goodbyes, and I watched as he walked down the lit sidewalk. The sky darkened and light rain started falling, dripping across  his shoulders and painting his tank top translucent. 

 I watched him for a long while, standing in the same spot. 

 Finally, his figure faded into the black. Turning around, I tried to process  what just transpired. 

 Was that... a date? No, no... of course not. Just two acquaintances getting to know each other. I mean, I didn't even know if he was gay. He seemed, afraid of bringing up anything direct. My breath hitched as I remembered his hand on my arm, back in the diner. Of course, me being confounded, I had no idea how to react and instead ignored him to mess with my vital tracker. Guilt washed over me as I got the feeling that he felt ignored.

The food was delicious and unlike anything I had ever experienced. I never thought food could be enjoyed, I really only viewed it as a means of survival, a boring task that needed to be completed in order to continue living. I would have never guessed food could be so enticing and flavorful. I didn't even know I could taste such flavors.

The entire time we ate, I could feel America staring at me. Its as if he was fascinated by my presence. I never confronted him, choosing to allow him to take in the view. 

Not that the view was very great. My hair began to become matted and tangled, full of sand and dirt and my atrocious uniform was mangled. Maybe that's why he was staring, because I looked so awful...

He also asked a lot of questions. I kept quiet and let him talk, and sometimes he would take my silence as an answer, sometimes not. I felt... important. A feeling that rarely ever came across me. 

 Somehow, I felt that us meeting again meant something. That it was more than just a coincidence. I wasn't usually one to preach about fate and destiny, but maybe America was the exception to that belief of mine.

In all of the worlds I have seen, not one life has shown the same interest back to me as I did to them. All but one. America.

 The sky was an endless expanse of stars. The color wasn't just black, it was gold, blue, red and orange and purple. I'd never been a fan of the stars, seeing them everyday back home it was just boring to look at, but somehow they were different here. More... alive. If that made any sense at all. 

 I took the money America gave me and checked into the nearest hotel. It had large stone walls with carved foliage on every window seal. The architecture was brilliant but simple in a way.

 The clerk gave me a room key and showed me where to find it. The hallway seemed endless, but eventually he stopped in front of a door and opened it for me. 

 The room lit up and showed cream colored walls and linens. There was a large room with a bed and sofa, and wooden panels lined the walls halfway up. The upper half was a boring floral wallpaper. The light was an old, small chandelier and it glimmered in the yellow light. There was a tiny, cramped bathroom to the right of the door.

 I was interested in seeing how people here on Earth used these strange amenities. A metal rod stuck out of the wall and once I turned a handle, started spraying water endlessly. I must have stared at the running water for 5 minutes before snapping out of it. 

 Back home, we showered by standing naked in a white room while chemical cleaners sprayed down from the ceiling and side. No water necessary. I wondered how they got clean if the nozzle here only dumped out water...

 I stripped my disgusting uniform off and discarded it onto the floor. Steam filled the tiny space and I was hesitant to get in. Everything was so complicated here.