the new high lord (Rhysand x reader)

you open your shop. It was a nice day in Velaris today, and you were lucky with your shop. the best shop on the rainbow. No, the best shop in Velaris. In your boutique you made the most beautiful dresses. With the most expensive and exclusive materials. 

Not a lot of people could afford it but the most wealthy in town could

Not a lot of people could afford it but the most wealthy in town could. That's why your main client is the high lord of the night court himself. The high lord was a cold man, but he paid you well. Today was quieter tho, the high lord and his son where away. You just heard about the passing of his wife and daughter this morning, well they were killed. You did not want to be on the other side of his rage and grief. So you just enjoyed the quiet and peace for now.

You felt for the high lords son, Rhysand. He's kind of been a friend to you. well friend was a big word he was more like someone you knew and saw on the regular. He was so handsome and always so nice, nothing like his dad. You hated the looks the high lord would give his son, one that told you enough. Rhysand would be more powerful than him and you could see in the high lords eyes he did NOT like that. You were waiting for the day Rhysand would become high lord, knowing things will change for the better. Guess you didn't have to wait long for that to happen as Rhysand walks into your shop. You didn't know what exactly he was here for, without his dad. But the look on his face told you something was wrong.

"hi" you say softly. "hello y/n" he says with his rough voice, you liked to hear so much. but today something seemed wrong with it. You look at him for a minute, he is just standing there. His posture always been good but it looked different now, he looked more powerful. He stays silent, not moving, so you start talking first. "what can I do for you today?". "I need a ceremonial suit" he says shortly, which was nothing for him. Normally he would talk a lot, especially when his dad wasn't with him. "step on up" you say pointing to the area you would take peoples measurements. He walks to it and you start taking his measurements. It's actually been a while since you've taken his measurements and you notice he had grown, not in length but in muscle. All the Illyrian training must go well.

You debate for a second if you should ask him about his mom and sister, but you decide not to. Instead you ask him about his clothes, staying professional. "so what's the occasion" you ask as your bubbly self. "for the high lord ceremony" he says. "who became high lord?" you ask him. Working here in a city no one knows about, you love to hear gossip about other courts, but this you hadn't heard about. Surely a new high lord would be the big news. "me and Tamlin" he says.

you let the measuring tape fall to the ground and you look up at him. That meant his father died, and spring courts high lord too. "how?" is all you ask. "I killed Tamlin's parents because they killed my mom and sister, Tamlin went mad and killed my dad" he says in a matter of fact kinda way, which breaks your heart. You look at him, knowing him well enough he's keeping himself strong right now. "don't look at me like that" he says, avoiding your eyes. "you're allowed to feel Rhys" you tell him softly. "no, I can't do that right now. I'm high lord now, I can't let feelings get the best of me". "how can you say that, your family died, no they were murdered Rhys. You're allowed to feel shit. Fucking cry and go smash things or something". "I can't" he says softly still not looking at you. "why not?" you ask him. "because if I do, I'm scared I will never stop". You don't know why but you step up closer to him and hug him tightly. He's shocked for a moment until he pushes you back harshly and you fall to the ground. He looks a bit shocked at you, clearly underestimating his new power. "i- I didn't meant to- can we just finish this" he says his face turning into that steely one, that reminds you a little too much of his dad. "okay" you say softly going back to work, in silence this time.