2. The Empress

While the new concubines entered The Forbidden City, the Empress's palace was full of the concubines of the emperor those who mattered that is, this palace was vast and full of luxuries third to that of the Emperor and Empress dowager. The mistress of this palace sat calmly as she drank her tea. Empress RuShanShi was a beautiful woman who became the emperor's princess consort when he was 16, however, she did not get pregnant within the first year of marriage. By that time the emperor had other consorts.

To ensure her position Zhi Jin made sure that no male children were born but now that the emperor was 21 and had no heirs the royal court had pushed for an early selection. As Empress, she was not pleased but she said nothing. Now the harem was welcoming four new concubines and she could not even touch them.

Her father informed her that three were daughters of the Zhao clan and the other was a daughter of the Minister of Justice. Anything that happened to them by her hand would be seen as a direct attack. She glanced at her cousin Imperial Concubine Chen who sipped her tea while listening to the other women.

Of course, she could not intervene, but they could, and she would be guilt-free. It did not occur to the Empress that one of the concubines was already suspecting such. Xiu Zhao was not stupid, as her maids guided her to Kunninggong palace she silently went through the information her brother had given her before they left. Her biggest threat was the Empress, she had killed at least 8 of the previous concubines due to them being pregnant with boys. However, this was only something they suspected. She had already warned Liling who upon hearing those words laughed as a deadly look appeared in her eyes, this reminded Xiu that her sister really had more of their father's blood than Jiang.

The rest of the emperor's women the two sisters could handle but that did not mean they were not prepared to deal with them. As they entered the palace Xiu settled on a polite smile, she ignored the eunuch who announced them as he was one of that woman's people not drawing his attention to her would be the safest option.

"Greetings to niangniangs may they live a thousand years" as the four women gave their greetings. The concubines watched them in shock, these women were devastatingly beautiful. Instinctively three of the consorts glanced at the empress observing the small frown that quickly vanished being replaced by a smile.

Xiu Zhao and Liling wore simple QiXiong ruqun hanfu with light colours, unlike their sister, who chose to wear bold colours. While Noble Lady Jing wore a high-chest ruqun hanfu that was pale in colour. The Empress and her cousin frowned when they saw Jiang's attire, it seemed this one wanted the emperor to notice her more than the others. She, they decided, would be trouble.

The first to speak was the Empress, "Stand on up, have a seat", even though she smiled at them Xiu knew that it was insincere. As they took their seats Imperial Concubine Chen smiled "We are all sisters here no need for you to be so tense", her words came out smoothly however only Jiang believed them and relaxed. Xiu, Liling and Noble Lady Jing plastered on fake smiles and nodded before attempting to drink their tea.

For the rest of the meeting the concubines smiled and chatted while educating their new sisters on the rules of the Forbidden City. However, one remained silent, the Empress watched on, her expression never changing. She was aware that soon these girls would all gain the emperor's favour due to their beauty and their family backgrounds.

She did not want to put her clan in danger by harming these women, but she understood that two other concubines might. As she glanced at them, she smiled it seemed the two were already thinking of ways to drag these women down so she would leave it to them.

____

That night the emperor visited Noble Consort Zhi, as he entered Changchungong palace she bowed before serving him. "He Huang using me as a shield is not going to work forever" the emperor slouched a bit; the man was tired and frankly he did not want to see the Empress. So instead, he visited one of the few friends he had,