35. The Final Chapter

20 years later

Forty-four-year-old Xiu sat calmly in her palace with a soft smile as Daiyu brought her a cup of tea, her youngest daughter sat near her. Today was her eldest son's wife selection ceremony each one of her sons had grown and had joined the imperial court. Luckily it was the legitimate sons' days. After all the legitimate sons chose their wives and concubines then the shu sons of the Emperor would get their turn.

The woman was a bit drained, yet no one would be able to tell as she placed the cup down her red lips curled into a knowing smirk before nodding at Daiyu. Taking her attendant's hand, the two made their way to the hall where the selections would occur.

"Her Highness the Empress is here" The announcement was quick and clear as the woman walked over to her seat. The Emperor smiled and nodded at his wife as she met his gaze, they had ensured that their son would not end up choosing any girl they disapproved of.

The eight women who had reached the final stage of the selection process entered the hall their heads lowered and soft smiles. Bowing the women spoke in sync "Greetings to His Majesty the Emperor, Her Highness the Empress and His Highness First Prince." Xiu kept quiet as she observed the girls the Emperor looked bored before he glanced at his son and spoke "You may rise". As the girls straightened again, the first prince studied the prospective women of his household.

"You may look forward" a gentle but regal voice echoed as the girls looked forward, some seeing their soon-to-be mother-in-law for the first time. Eyes widened as many observed the Empress the rumours were not false even in her old age, she was stunning. Both the Emperor and First Prince were amused by the reactions of some of the women.

Xiu smiled and spoke "Today, is the day the First Prince is to choose the women for his manor, if you are chosen, I expect that you conform to the standards of the Imperial family I will not have a lacking daughter-in-law". Of the eight women two frowned in distaste unknowingly cutting themselves out of the selection.

The head eunuch bowed as he raised the Jade Ruyi "First Prince Please". The First Prince stood up and walked over to the line of women. Observing six of the candidates before making his decision. The Prince walked over to the girl who had caught his eye when they entered, he took her hand and gently laid the sceptre in her hand while admiring her blushing face.

"His Highness the First Prince gave the Jade Ruyi to the First Legitimate Daughter of the Minister of Personnel, Wu Shufen, making her his Princess Consort." The Chief Eunuch announced while Xiu smiled in approval.

Wu Shufen lowered her eyes as she grasped the Ruyi carefully in her hands and bowed saying "Wu Shufen thanks His Highness with Grace". Cōng Xiáng helped her up before silently admiring her before snapping out of his daze.

 He now needed to choose his Secondary Consorts not that he needed any. Grabbing the two decorative purses she looked at the five remaining women. Two stood out to him and he made his decision. Giving the purses to Yan Fen and Fang Guiying. Both thanked him glancing at the other two as he bestowed them with a flower Jin Ai and Wei Nuan marking them as his concubines. He then glanced at his mother who smiled.

"The First Prince has chosen 5 women, that concludes the selection" Her words startled the other two young ladies who clearly were surprised to not even be considered. After speaking Xiu stopped listening and waited for the girls to leave as she drank her tea.

Once the hall was empty, she spoke "Only three more times before wu can have some peace with 20 new daughters-in-law" The Emperor laughed and walked over to his wife gently rubbing her shoulders while the prince looked on in amusement and jealousy. He wanted the love his parents had, and he hoped that his wife would be pleased with him. "Royal Mother you did not seem bothered by my choices" Xiu glanced at her son and smiled "Bengong has played this game many times each girl was carefully chosen before they were presented to you".

The prince trusting his parent's judgement nodded before leaving his parents alone. Xiu glanced at her husband and a small frown appeared "Our battles are over but theirs are beginning" The Emperor sighed he was now in his fiftieth year, and many wanted him to decree a crown prince. He glanced at his wife her birthday was soon and she seemed worried.

"You braved the schemes of the harem to preserve their lives and your seat eventually so will they". Xiu nodded and took her husband's hand, tomorrow their second son would choose his wife once all the princes were married only then would he announce a crown prince. The Dragon and the phoenix left the hall with small smiles before retiring to spend time together. Eager to see how the next generation would flourish.

 Author's Note

Hey, guys my apologies I forgot to add this note we have reached the end of Xiu's story, as planned I will finish her brother's story and then start on her children's love stories. So say goodbye to Xiu and He Huang Jun for now.