27. Unexpected Discoveries

The image above is what I imagine Cuifen to look like. This image is not mine credits to the artist.

The decree to promote Liling came early the next day during morning greetings no longer a Noble lady she had joined the ranks of consort. Imperial Concubine Le paid special attention to the decree as it was read with a frown. Even now she and several women glanced at Liling with sour looks. Xiu couldn't help but give her sister a teasing look after all the wording of the decree was a bit much.

-flashback-

Xiu looked on with boredom as the women of the harem greeted her, so many with fake smiles and evil intentions. As the women took their seats she decided to make her announcement "His Majesty has sent down a decree to be announced" The women all exchanged looks as the eunuch began to read "Empress HuiXian is virtuous, beautiful and loyal even after marriage she chose to be frugal and stay in Yikungong Palace. Zhen is touched by the Empress's consideration, As she is Empress Zhen declares that Empress HuiXian moves into the official residence of the phoenix seat known as Kunninggong Palace."

The women all relaxed as it was not something like a promotion of someone being demoted but then the eunuch began reading another decree "Noble Consort Zhi is noble and virtuous and has accompanied Zhen for many years. Zhen and his Empress have placed trust in her. Noble Consort Zhi shall assist in the managing of the hòugóng she is to move into Yikungong Palace"

Now some women frowned The Emperor and Empress had just indicated that after the Empress the most powerful woman in the harem was Noble Consort Zhi and they had to respect her as she was backed by both the dragon and phoenix. After the decrees were read, they all fell into causal conversation exchanging thinly veiled insults and backhanded compliments when another eunuch entered and bowed. Xiu gazed at him and smiled "Get on up and announce your decree" The golden yellow roll was a dead given away as to who he was sent by. "Noble Lady Shan is beautiful, kind, full of joy and has brought Zhen great joy and comfort. Virtuous, pure and gentle Zhen intended to title her shu, as Zhen already has an Imperial Concubine who has these traits Zhen has decided to promote Shan guìrén to Fei with the title liáng. She will reside in Chengqiangong Palace".

Shu pin's face darkened at the comparison before she hid behind a kind mask that both sisters noted. As the other bowed and smiled they noticed how Imperial Concubine Le gazed at Liling.

-End of flashback-

Imperial Concubine Le noted that the Empress was not surprised by any of the decrees and seemed rather calm after her sister was promoted to Fei while she was heavily pregnant. That is when it occurred to her 'The Empress is also pregnant could it be a power play by the emperor'. The woman touched her flat stomach and then glanced around. While there had been many births since the Empress had taken over, certain women had not been with children yet. The Emperor had favoured a few and forgotten the others.

She had no favour as when she resided in the Qingwang fu she was but a lowly tóngfáng, she had only ascended to the position of pin due to her service and that huángshàng felt guilty for taking her maidenhood. Even if she was backed by huángtàihòu the Empress had a better position and the love of the Emperor and Empress Dowager.

Snapping out of her thoughts Imperial Concubine Le rose with the other women to leave. Carefully making her way to her palace she considered what she would have to do and eventually an idea came to mind. Huánghòu, Zhi guìfēi , Zhang guìfēi and Liáng fei could not do bed service as they were all pregnant. Shu pin was no longer favoured and several women in the harem had been demoted and locked away. They would soon be given the white cloth. That left 6 available concubines including herself. She then turned to her maid and whispered instructions in her ear before pressing a coin purse into the girls' hands.