16. Bastard Child

The image above is Grand Princess An. This image does not belong to me credit goes to the creators.

The Fourth prince was an active child with big eyes filled with curiosity, it made Xiu wonder about her sister and if she would have been a good mother. Her thoughts came to halt when the grand princesses entered her room and sat down. Xiu rose to her feet to give greetings when the two waved her off and stared at her. Princess An was meeting her for the first time and wanted to meet the woman who walked into court and dealt with her hostage situation amid the rebellion. She had to admit the Noble Consort was beautiful and her blue eyes were strange but enticing even how she held herself was better than the previous Empress.

"Noble Consort HuiXian is the sister of my rescuer yes?" Xiu was a bit surprised by the question but nodded "Yes, he is my younger brother has he offended you?" Her voice is tinged with concern, but a small smile appears when the princess shakes her head and looks at the child in her hands "No, he has not but you look similar in the eyes" Xiu smiles and nods before gently rocking her nephew and now officially her son to sleep. Finally, her cousin speaks "You have reached a high place in the harem and amassed a good reputation cousin".

Grand Princess Jingse was known for her beauty and intelligence many hoped that she would marry into their family but unfortunately, they did not have good enough sons to draw her attention. Since her brother had ascended to the throne, she had helped her mother keep the harem in order often trying to reel in her brother's legal wife who was now the Imperial Noble Consort she knew that her brother could not put the woman in the cold palace without the Jin clan making a fuss. Luckily her cousins entered the harem and became an immovable obstacle in the way of Zhi Jin.

If everything went to plan Xiu would become Empress and that Jin woman would fade into the background forgotten by history. She watched as her cousin put the boy down and looked at her "I have" The two princesses shared a look and smiled Xiu was cautious and careful with her words this was good this ensured they were not wasting time. Xiu however knew that the walls have ears "Thanks to His Majesty's grace and I am grateful for it". Her words are simple but humble without scheming to remind the two royal women that this was not their home in which they were safe, and no words left the walls but the harem.

The two nodded and changed the topic to the children and how happy they are to be able to meet their nephews. Noble lady Shan walked in on this conversation with a smile her bump now on display. She had finished eating with the emperor and came back with flushed cheeks. Xiu raised her eyebrow and a sly smirk appeared "Meimei your cheeks look like heavenly peaches is there something I should know?" the teasing tone in Xiu's voice man Liling flush even more while the princesses started to giggle hiding their faces behind silk napkins.

"Jiejie don't tease me" Liling cried while pouting and looking the other way after a few minutes Xiu gave in and apologised quickly pulling her sister into the seat next to her the two shared a bright smile before the Grand Princesses leaned forward with interest "How was your lunch with our brother" Xiu smirked when she noticed the princesses giving Liling a knowing look. And Liling burst not able to keep her secret any longer "The emperor made a promise to me that is all". The three older women shared a look before leaving it at that.

The blushing pregnant woman let out a sigh of relief before sending her personal attendant to guard the door, when she left Liling looked around and spoke softly "The Emperor is a good man but I cannot love him we agreed that our relationship would be of friends" the other three women nodded in understanding but Liling wasn't done "Also the Emperor is enraged Imperial Concubine Chen is pregnant" Xiu froze and mentally ran over the night visits before shaking her head "That is not possible the Emperor has not favoured her in months" A dark look appeared on Princess An's face "Has she slept with another man?"

Liling knew better than to lie and nodded "The Emperor demands that the Imperial Physician examine her to ensure that the report is true, but he is quite furious." Xiu carefully placed her cup down before clearing her throat "Daiyu" the young woman immediately appeared "I am here" Xiu smiled "Ask physician Qi to visit Jingrengong palace in an hour" Daiyu gave a firm nod and left "Jiejie why did you do that?" Liling asked when she noticed the strange looks on the princess's faces "Out of all the men in the imperial palace the guards and physicians are the ones who interact with the women of the harem" Liling paled as the thought occurred "Then why send Physician Qi?"

"Physician Qi drank sterilization soup after the birth of his tenth son" The other women paled for a man to do that was rare, but Physician Qi was known to be quite meticulous and careful, so it was not shocking but surprising. Xiu then picked up one of the snacks "In addition, the Imperial Physician sent can be paid to lie on her behalf Imperial Physician Qi is one of the Empress Dowager's closest friends he will be honest.

The women decided to stay, chat, and play games while waiting for one of the results at some point they started a game of wéiqí. Princess Jingse furrowed her eyebrows as she observes the board. "Cousin, you play like a general" Xiu smiled and glanced at Liling "We were raised by three" Jingsi smirked before giving a nod in agreement even she had gotten training from her uncle.

"Mistress Imperial Physician Qi is here" The women paused and quickly fixed themselves before Xiu nodded "Let him in" Physician Qi was a tall man with long black hair with few greying streaks and dark eyes that held wisdom. "I greet Your highnesses Grand Princesses Jingse and An, I greet Your Highness Noble Consort HuiXian, I greet her highness Noble Lady Shan" The four women gave the man a small smile before Xiu went straight ahead "Imperial Physician Qi what were the results for Imperial Concubine Chen?" The man straightened up his eyes full of anger "Replying to her highness Noble Consort HuiXian, Imperial Concubine Chen is at least three months pregnant" Xiu's genial look disappeared as she placed her hand on the table "Is this in line with the records?" the imperial physician then glanced at the Emperor's eunuch who accompanied him with the record "No, it does not" Xiu nodded and waved her hand allowing the men to leave before rising to her feet.

"Grand Princess Jingsi, grand princess An I believe you have to report to the Empress Dowager, I will have to report to the Emperor".

The two princesses nodded and left the room their handmaidens quickly following behind them "Roulan take care of Liling" Xiu then left her palace and made her way to visit the emperor she had no idea what would cause Imperial Concubine Chen to lose her mind the way she did.

As she entered, she heard a loud crash and the sound of breaking porcelain as she walked over, she looked at the eunuch "Announce me" The man nodded and ran in before quickly running out and letting her in. The Emperor's office was in disarray and the man sat in the middle of the room in his chair with a scowl "Beloved why are you here?" his tone holding gentleness and anger but Xiu stayed calm "Your Majesty as the current head of the harem I am required to inform you that the child in Imperial Concubine Chen's womb is not yours" The Emperor nodded and walked over to her "you are sure?" Xiu nodded "I had Physician Qi check" The Emperor nodded his anger was rising and he needed a way of venting.

"Beloved" he mumbled while gently taking a lock of her hair between his fingers and placing a soft kiss on it "Yes your majesty" Xiu knew what the man wanted but she was quite aware of what the man might do to get it. She watched the emperor as he ran his hand over her body without removing her clothing as he placed his lips on her skin, soft gasps leaving her lips before she gently pushed him back. "Emperor, you need to deal with Imperial Concubine Chen before you can have me again".

She smiled at him before calmly leaving and making her way back to her palace, Xiu had no idea what she had unleashed upon making that statement, but she would soon come to be rather pleased by the result.