22. The First to speak in anger is always the first to fall.

Xiu sat with a neutral expression as all the other women within the Imperial Harem greeted her for the morning, with the recent promotions of several women in the Harem Xiu knew that they would be expecting her to be a bit bitter, but unfortunately, these women played the game quite stupidly.

"Get on up" her voice was full of boredom as she took a drink of her tea, the other women exchanged a few glances before fixing themselves in their seats. One lady thought herself bold enough to speak and so she did "Niangniang the emperor has not visited any of us since he returned, has something happened" her voice was high and drawn out almost babyish. Xiu hated it but just raised an eyebrow at her sister who just sipped her tea with a smirk. Noble Consorts Zhang and Zhi were both hiding smiles behind their cups.

"Noble Lady Ke, The Emperor is the Son of Heaven; he rules the world, he is not required to visit the harem when the affairs of state are more important". Xiu's voice remained soft and steady never shaking or indicating how she felt about the comment, the other women all lowered their eyes they had always known that Imperial Noble Consort was capable but not even these made her upset.

Imperial Concubine Le watched the Imperial Noble Consort with a measured look, this was her first time observing the Imperial Noble Consort now she knew why the Emperor was so enamoured she was beautiful and intelligent not at all bothered by the other concubines. The woman smirked when she witnessed the embarrassed flush on Noble Lady Ke's face. The child deserved it at 17 she did not know better about what to say and what not to say to the head of the Harem.

As she turned away and focused on her tea while the other women started the conversation. Xiu listened as they spoke. When a verbal exchange between Noble Lady Ke and the newly appointed Imperial Concubine Min began the woman placed her cup to the side and listened, she would wait and see how stupid Noble Lady Ke was.

As the woman talked about the Emperor's favour Xiu seemed to be bored however things spiralled when Noble Lady Ke forgot her place and angrily spoke. "I will bear the heir to the throne after all I have favour". The room grew quiet Xiu smirked and turned to Imperial Concubine Ming who just sat staring at the younger girl in shock. Most were not prepared for her answer at all some even nearly choking on their tea and the snacks at their side.

Xiu turned to the girl who now seemed to understand the impact of what she said before she could say another word to defend herself Imperial Concubine Le spoke "Noble Lady Ke do you mean to scheme for the dragon throne when there are four princes ahead of you and your womb, or do you wish to condemn all the future heirs of the throne to death".

The newer concubines all understood now why everyone seemed horrified by the statement made. The older woman rose to her feet and bowed "Niangniang Noble Lady Ke has spoken out of turn and has cursed the Imperial heirs in her lust for power, I ask that you punish her according to the rules of the harem".

The others rose and repeated her words while all observing the woman in front of them let's see how she would punish Noble Lady Ke. Xiu turned to the woman who was glaring at Imperial Concubine Le with hateful eyes.

"Noble Lady Ke you have spoken improperly and not only offended the ancestors but have thrown a curse towards all Imperial Princes but yours forward. As such you are to kneel in front of the elders and give offerings while asking for their forgiveness for three days. This will be your punishment until the Emperor gives his official word after the report"

This caused imperial concubine Le to withdraw from baiting anyone further the Imperial Noble Consort was not Empress so most of the imperial punishments could not be used. This, however, was harsh as after Noble Lady Ke suffered the three days she would have to also suffer through the Emperor's chosen punishment.

Xiu looked at the other women and rose to her feet "You may all withdraw" While most left Liling stayed behind Xiu glanced at her sister and then the empty hall "You did that on purpose" Liling nodded "Imperial Concubine Ming and Le are easy to bait once you let the right things enter their ears" Xiu could not help but to nod in agreement. Imperial Concubine Le overestimated her worth to the Empress Dowager and assumed herself to be a master at surviving in the harem. Until now, the only proper competitors were board and had no interest in playing. Imperial Concubine Le would inadvertently become their shield and sword If she realised that. Only time will tell.

The two sisters sat chatting when a palace attendant announced the presence of the Duke of Zhong Lian and his Wang Fei. Xiu allowed them entry into her hall and watched the couple walk in. Juan- Shu was a beautiful blushing newlywed bride and their brother looked joyous the couple quickly bowed in greeting.

"Humble subjects greet Her Highness the Imperial Noble Consort and Her Highness Noble Lady Shan".

Xiu smiled and gestured for her attendants to help them up "Get on up" she observed the couple before nodding "I see The Emperor and I were right to place you two together, hopefully, you bless us and Noble Lady Shan with happy news soon".

Her voice was a bit teasing as she spoke these words soon followed by a big smile as her newest sister-in-law blushed a bright shade of red. She glanced at her brother and nodded "Brother you can leave your precious bride with us, pick her up after you see the Emperor" Jun- Jie nodded and bowed before backing out of the room. Xiu and Liling smiled at the woman in front of them. Their brother had no idea what he had just done and without a second the two sisters began lovingly teasing their newest Meimei.