10. Imperial Noble Consort

The image above is Imperial Concubine Jia, credit to the creator of this photo. This does not belong to me.

The next morning the members of the harem went to give morning greetings to the newly released Imperial Noble Consort. Zhi Jin sat and watched these women she kept a pleasant expression on her face, but she was furious not only was she no longer Empress but now there were 3 princes in the forbidden city.

What made matters worse was the woman sitting closest to her HuiXian guì fēi annoyed her. She had heard the rumours that this woman was virtuous and wise. Yet she had gotten her confined. Additionally, that attention-seeking sister of hers had gone into labour early in the morning. She glanced at the Noble Consort who had taken the title of favourite from her cousin. The Zhao woman had taken her chance at having the first prince.

She would have to be careful in her scheming so this time she served normal tea without contraceptives or poison and smiled "It is good to see all of you again" she sounded so honest and kind that the concubines who were weary of her relaxed and smiled. It seems the Imperial Noble Consort had indeed changed. Xiu smirked as she drank her tea. These women were too naïve.

Even the daughter of the Jin clan was a bit dumb did she think that the emperor did not install spies into her palace he had sent her two handmaidens who were the sisters of his eunuch they were quite loyal to the emperor. Xiu herself had infiltrated Zhi Jin's palace with her own spies. Four of that women palace maids were loyal to Xiu they had entered the palace only six months ago, yet she had been their benefactor only telling them her identity when she asked them to report back to her the doings of Zhi Jin.

Xiu worked well to ensure she and hers would be safe, this now included her husband. She watched as Noble Consort Zhi rolled her eyes before sipping her tea the woman didn't buy a word Zhi Jin said.

As they continued to drink their tea a eunuch ran in "Noble lady Zhao has given birth to the fourth prince and sixth princess" The room got quiet Xiu and Liling exchanged glances. Their sister had been placed on bedrest early into her pregnancy. The fact she safely delivered the Dragon Pheonix twins was amazing. Xiu placed her cup on the table and looked at the eunuch "How is the health of Noble lady Zhao?" the eunuch gulped nervously who did not know that this was the Noble Consorts sister.

"The Noble Lady is well niangniang she will be fully recovered in a month" Xiu smiled and nodded. Finally, her sister had done something beneficial to their clan without making them look bad. Liling however stared at the Imperial Noble Consort. The hatred in that woman's eyes made her wonder if her foolish sister was safe.

Nearly as soon as the word was announced Zhi Jin was angered "You may all go back" she spoke trying to hide her anger. As the other women left her palace, she threw the plate across the room "That slut dares!"

Her attendants looked down in fear afraid that their mistress would harm them in her anger. Zhi Jin let out a sound of frustration before pointing at two of her attendants "You clean it up". She wanted them busy so she could plot without them reporting to the emperor. She wasn't dumb she knew they were spies.

Sitting in her room she plotted before one answer came to her if the mother dies, she could adopt the children and would be able to rise in power. She could not poison the girl, but she could push her to death.

Yes, that is what she will do, as she plotted the servant girls inside the room stared at her some agreeing with their mistress. However, the others were going to report their findings to their mistress.

Xiu Zhao as usual was with her children her parents had sent gifts and letters that she happily read beside Liling. It was peaceful and calming however the sisters were on high alert, A princess would always be safe from the battles for the throne, but a prince was in danger. Xiu looked at her three sons they were young and innocently unaware of the dangers they would be facing.

She needed to protect them even if that meant tainting her virtue, Liling placed a hand on her stomach she had yet to show but she was worried. The two sisters were happy as they were away from all the other concubines.

Xiu sighed when her attendant whispered in her ear before nodding and instructing them to take her children into her sister's place. Liling understanding that someone Xiu did not trust was entering followed the attendants so that she could watch the babies.

Xiu stood and made her way into her palace and sat in her chair as she waited for the concubine to enter soon Imperial concubine Jia entered, as usual, the woman was adorned with expensive materials and jewels and her lips painted bright red.

"Pin Qie greets Noble Consort HuiXian" Xiu nodded and let her take a seat. Imperial concubine Jia was one of the few concubines in the palace that entered alongside the emperor and was previously well favoured by the emperor but since Xiu Zhao entered she had lost favour.

Before the emperor would visit her nearly every night now if she saw him twice, she was lucky. She looked on at the woman in front of her even after giving birth she seemed to glow and gain more beauty. Smiling at Xiu Zhao she considered how she would play this before settling on an idea.

"JieJie congratulations on your children" her words were spoken from a tongue dipped in honey yet Xiu knew that her tongue was poisonous and full of lies. Smiling she replied easily "Thank you Meimei, but it's not congratulations that bring you here." The woman's red lips seemed to curl in disdain before a smile appeared "Shi, qie heard that a new Empress will be chosen as a woman of my clan will never sit on the throne qie is wondering who she should support" Xiu finally relaxed and gave the woman a genuine smile, this concubine was an idiot she would be easy to remove.

"Bengong cannot answer as bengong is not aware of how the Emperor will choose his new empress"

It was not the answer the concubine wanted but she just nodded and took on the consort's silence for dismissal. As the woman left Xiu put down her tea her eyes hard "Roulan go get the children we are going to visit their father"