21. Let the Games Begin

With the previous empress deposed, Xiu Zhao was now the Imperial Noble Consort. Everyone was watching her moves now, so she would have to be even more careful. Right now, she was supposed to distract people from the harshness of the previous Empress. Daiyu, Roulan and Souxin dressed her the best they could, from her hair to her gown.

Xiu slowly rose to her feet and smiled before making her way to the Emperor, her presence being requested in the court. As she entered, the ministers bowed. Xiu walked with purpose, her head held high, only lowering to the Emperor as he took her hand, and the two sat next to each other. The ministers looked at the sight and hid their smiles. Yes, a proper and appropriate Empress, her elegant dress and accessories did not make her look like she was celebrating her promotion to Empress, nor did she look dressed below her station. Very simple yet highly elegant.

As the court progressed, Imperial Noble Consort HuiXian spoke no words. She listened, her face impassive even when a censor said she was not supposed to be present. There was no expression of surprise when several ministers and the emperor himself ignored the censor, some going as far as to object.

As the court progressed, one situation caused her to frown, and she silently leaned over and whispered into the Emperor's ears. The man paused and raised his hand; the ministers shared a look at the censor who had just read his memorandum, something he said had caused suspicion. "Subject Ning, please explain why you are censoring the Jing family for something they do not control" The court grew silent as they noticed the glare on the Imperial Noble Consorts' face.

"The Jing and Ning families had started engagement talks that the Jing family went back on" The Emperor turned to his beloved and nodded before she rose to her feet. "Censor Ning, are you aware that the Emperor decreed marriage between my paternal clan and Imperial Concubine Shu's clan" 

The man paled. He had not been aware of the decree and had only brought this forward at the urging of his father-in-law. Xiu glanced at the man and sat down. "I hope that the wisdom shown by censor Ning is not something shared among the ministers in the court. I would hate to be disappointed".

Her words may have been said with a bright smile and a pleasant tone, but they could all tell how displeased she was by how she phrased the statement. Many tried their best not to smirk as the man flushed in shame; he was not very well-liked, so the small dig at him was something they appreciated, and if the Imperial Noble Consort gave them a cheeky smile, they did not see.

As the court ended, The Emperor left with his beloved, who gave them all her usual nod of approval. Minister Zhao seemed pleased as he turned and carefully left the area beside him where several court members spoke. Two approached Minister Zhao and started an interesting conversation. "Your daughter is essentially the Empress making you the Emperor's father-in-law, " One softly said. His tone, however, was not right. Rong Zhao narrowed his eyes and gave the man a measured look.

'Who was this man?' "What are your intentions," Rong Zhao said, his voice hard and eyes narrowed as the man smiled at him. "You have the ability to put your grandchildren on the throne; imagine being the emperor's grandfather and advisor" Rong Zhao now pulled the man into a corner, not noticing the other man following them with suspicious eyes.

"YOU DARE TALK ABOUT TREASON", Rong Zhao hissed, his eyes full of anger if he only had his weapon. He pushed the man into the walls, his face dark with anger "MY ZHAO CLAN REMAINS LOYAL TO THE EMPEROR. IF I HEAR A WHISPER OF THIS OF ANY TREASON, I WILL DRAG YOU TO THE EMPEROR MYSELF"

Before he could finish, a hand was placed on his shoulder. "Prime Minister Zhao, let go of my friend" Rong Zhao stepped back in shock and turned to see his son with a man that looked suspiciously like the emperor's brother.

He then stepped back and watched the scene before turning to his son. "Was this a test?" they all nodded. "And you passed, Prime Minister. I'm pleased to see the Prime Minister; my future father-in-law is a man of honour and loyalty" Behind him were the Emperor and his eldest daughter, who smiled at him from the Emperor's side.

So the emperor was finally making his move within the courts. His daughter smiled at him and bowed; he tried to avoid her bow before she left with the emperor.

Xiu smiled as she entered her palace, the Emperor beside her holding two of their children while the other two were in her arms. She was happy to be back and around her children the excuse of recovering from an attempted assassination and wanting to handle matters safely in the palace for a while allowed them to return to the Forbidden City.

"Beloved, what is on your mind?" Xiu looked up at the man playing with his son and daughter. Without a word, she sat beside him as he took her hand. "I am worried that soon the harem will become a battlefield". For the emperor, having an Empress meant having someone to handle the wars and schemes of the harem; however, women seemed to be way more scheming and vicious than men. He was worried about what would happen due to their decisions.

He squeezed her hand before kissing her cheek and reassuring her they would be fine. "Now is a good time for people to marry, right?" Xiu immediately understood and nodded her brother would forgive her in time.

She dragged him into the political battle and put him in the same position as their father, the shining steps towards favour with the imperial family and possibly future happiness.

With a small sigh, she wrote a letter of apology to her brother that she hoped would make up for it.

Xiu's outfit, hairstyle and jewellery 

Does anyone know the drama this is from? I'm wondering if this was from Story of Minglan.

Also, I have posted the complimentary book to this with Xiu's brother and Imperial Concubine Shu's baby sister. Enjoy!