14. Marriage Talks and Poison

Imperial Concubine Chen is in the image above. Once again this is not my art and Credit to the amazing author 

The death of Noble lady Zhao spread throughout the forbidden palace, her corpse had been found early in the morning when her breakfast had been delivered of course the emperor paid it no mind and only instructed that she be removed from his records. Xiu who had accompanied the emperor only focused on the ink while her husband continued his writing. 

The eunuchs noticed and shared a look it seemed that Noble Consort HuiXian and the Emperor were responsible for this, but that information would be buried with Noble lady Zhao. Before the two could leave Xiu spoke "Burn lady Zhao's coffin it is a request from the head of the Zhao clan" the eunuchs bowed and silently backed out.

Noble lady Zhao was pitiful she had entered with her sisters full of beauty and talent but had fallen into the web of deceit and murder however she was not successful. While she bore a royal heir the child would not know her name, her paternal house had removed her from the register and had not mentioned a funeral. And she was erased from the imperial record. Talent and beauty were wasted on the scheming and now she would be an unknown and forgotten memory in history.

Xiu waited till both men left before looking at the emperor "My love you have lost another concubine soon the court will ask for another selection" Her voice was soft but full of acceptance no trace of jealousy or anger but something in her phrasing caused him to look to her.

"What does my beloved want?" a blush covered her cheeks as she played with the sleeves of her garment "Qie has received a letter from home, qie's parents are looking for good marriage prospects for qie's Second brother". While she did not straight out ask, he understood that Rong Zhao and Madam Zhao were asking for his intervention.

They were wise the duke's household had been blessed through their children and had risen in power they knew when to make an alliance and when to step back. Looking at his beloved he noticed that she was calm after all she had passed on her message.

"Imperial Concubine Shu has a younger sister who is virtuous and talented however she has not left the fu since the Imperial Concubine Shu entered the harem" Xiu sighed and thought about the younger girl Juān – Shū was a beautiful girl like some of the Zhao children she had strange coloured eyes, her younger sisters were more affiliated with her than Xiu as the older girl was very busy within the fu.

"I shall ask Kaili about her thoughts before any progression" The emperor nodded as his beloved gave him a bright smile. He himself had worried about his friend's marriage prospects as he knew other families would use Jun-Jie to climb into his good graces it seemed that he was not the only one with a brain.

The couple stayed together for an hour when a eunuch ran in with fear in his eyes "Niangniang the Imperial Concubine Chen ate food intended for Noble lady Shan and collapsed" Xiu paused and stepped away from the table there was no expression on her face as she walked towards the eunuch "What was Noble lady Shan doing with Imperial concubine Chen?" as far as Xiu knew her sister hated the woman.

Now the eunuch looked even more afraid "Imperial Concubine Chen went to the Palace of Earthly honour to give congratulations she insisted to stay and eat with Noble lady Shan" Xiu nodded before glancing at the Emperor his eyes held anger as he also saw through this trick. Xiu turned and watched the eunuch poor man had no idea he had been tricked.

 "Li Chi go investigate as this is a matter of Imperial heirs" the man nodded and quickly left the eunuch who delivered the message quickly following him Xiu turned to watch her husband "Emperor shall we go see a play" the couple left and made their way to the Palace of Earthly Honour.

Neither was surprised when Imperial Concubine Chen was screaming at the top of her lungs about vicious, scheming women 'as if she was not one herself'  The emperor thought before walking inside his beloved beside him. The screaming banshee stood with marks around her mouth and tear-filled eyes a group of labour mamas stood blocking her from Noble Lady Shan and the children.

Upon seeing the Noble Consort, they seemed to be relieved at her presence when the Emperor looked at one of the mamas he saw a red hand print on her face and grew angry the mamas assigned to his beloved and her friends were the same ones that helped his mothers and took care of him after her death.

 These were special women. These aunts were not royal but still treasured him long before he was named crown prince. The women that had snuck him to the Zhao household when the harem and court were tossed into chaos by his first brother's ambitions.

"Who slapped Nanny Lu?" his tone held anger and annoyance while Xiu quietly applied a cream to the woman's face, before turning to Imperial Concubine Chen whom her maids had immediately seized.

 "Concubine Chen, do you think we are fools, do you think that because your father has a high position you are safe?" 

The room grew silent, and the servants kept their eyes on the floor. While Noble Consort HuiXian was kind and loving she was a fierce tigress ready to corner and kill her prey. All may admire her, but they also feared and respected her Concubine Chen seemed to grow pale as her gaze went from the Emperor to the Noble Consort, they were only two within the harem but only one was titled HuiXian only one woman truly had the emperors love and that gave her power.

"Qie apologises to Noble Consort HuiXian for entering her palace and making a fuss, Qie apologises to Emperor for raising her hand to the mama this one knows her wrong" She bowed hoping the two would forgive her after all Imperial Concubine Jia was confined to her palace and demoted to Noble lady, that left the emperor with only three Imperial Concubines he needed her.

Unfortunately for Concubine Chen, she was not needed "Confine to palace for a month" was all he said as some guards dragged her back to her palace with her maids following behind her. He would have to allow the Empress Dowager some authority in the Harem as his Imperial Noble Consort was now using others to do her dirty work. He glanced at his beloved who had a frown on her face as she watched the scene in front of her Zhi Jin thought she could act through her cousin fine then so would Xiu.

She had no intention of being Empress before but now she understood not only would she become Empress she would deal with the pampered snakes that lurked in the Forbidden City as she had already been given a place in court she would use it to ensure nobody like the Kins entered into her husband's harem again.