Chapter Three; Night Swimming

I tossed the ball up once again and caught it with ease, sighing. I glanced over at the clock, almost groaning in annoyance.

It's only 10:36 and I was still having no luck falling asleep. As usual, I was bored as hell, stuck all alone in my room. Blake was right about one thing.

I need friends.

I flicked on the TV and turned over on my stomach, leaning on my hand to flip through channels. I had become so familiar with all of them, I practically knew the TV schedule, so you'd think I would know by now that there was nothing really on at this hour, but here I am, once again, just sitting here flipping through show after show, just desperate for anything to grab my attention.

A soft ping at my window pulled me away from the TV. I quirked a brow but decided to ignore it, dismissing it as a bug, until it happened once again. And again. And again. And again. Groaning, more annoyed at the fact that I had to get up than anything, I sat up, flicked my desk lamp on and raked a hand through my hair, walking to the window. I threw it open and glanced around outside.

I raised my brow and looked around, starting to open my mouth again when something sailed into my open mouth. Wrinkling my nose, I spit it to the side, cursing, as the bitter, salty taste of a rock set in. "What the hell?!"

"Liam!" A voice called and I blinked. I know that voice. I know that voice. I narrowed my eyes and groaned, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Geez, what-ever-your-name-is, what the hell are you doing at my bloody window at 10:36 at night? Are you out of your mind?!" I whisper-yelled in annoyance. I struggled to get my eyes to adjust, staring focused into the darkness until finally, I saw movement. I focused on the movement and watched as his silhouette pulled back, chucking another pebble at my head.

He missed.

"It's West!" He shouted softly and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, yeah," I started, leaning on my hand. "If you're looking for Kai, you've got the wrong room. I think he's in Blake's room but I wouldn't recommend going in there-,"

"I'm not here for Kai," West said simply, kicking at the grass. I raised a brow and lifted up from my hand.

"Then what are you here for? Don't tell me you meant to throw rocks at my window?"

"I came for you, actually," he stated and I could see the gleam of his teeth as he smiled. I felt my face heat up, my heart beating a little bit faster. He seemed to notice my silence and his eyes widened, shaking his head, embarrassed. "Don't get the wrong idea. A few friends of mine were meeting up and I-I was wondering if you wanted to come with. You always seem so lonely and I figured-,"

"Not interested," I started, trying to hide the redness of my cheeks that he could probably see. I feel like I'm glowing in the dark. I waved my hand in a shooing motion. "Find someone else to bother."

I started to close the window but he stopped me, holding up his hands. "Come on, Liam, stop it. I know that you want a friend, okay? And it just so happens that I'm in the market for one too. So, why don't we help each other out? It'll be fun."

I paused, tapping my fingers against the window. "You don't know me."

"Let's change that then, huh?" He said, his teeth gleaming in the dark. "You don't know me either."

I hesitated, biting my lip. What the hell was his game? What was he playing at? West seemed to read my mind as he spoke again.

"No angle. I just want to be friends," He began, raking a hand through his hair. "I bet you're sick of being alone. I am too."