Chapter Four; Practically Part of the Family

I raked a hand through my hair, yawning as I slid down the stairs. I peaked around the corner into the kitchen and made a face when I saw Mrs. Clary beginning to pour scrambled eggs onto an assortment of plates. Curling my lip, I decided it was better to perhaps have some toast or something in about an hour, just to avoid eating breakfast with the Clarys, and as I started to turn away, Mrs. Clary, without looking up from her pouring, called out, "Don't even think about it, Liam. Get in here."

Sucking in a breath, I ducked around the corner and flashed her an award winning smile. "Good morning, Mindy; you're looking lovely as usual."

Her dark brown hair was pulled up into a messy bun atop of her head and her bangs were tucked behind her ear. Her green eyes narrowed at me in suspicion and she rested her hand on her hip, placing her frying pan to the side.

"Don't try to sweet talk me, boy," She stated, eyeing me suspiciously. "You got in pretty late last night.  Where were you?"

I stared at her in shock for a moment. That's what she was mad about? Simply, I shrugged. I pulled out a chair and slid into it, leaning on my hand. "I was with a friend."

She quirked a brow.

"Oh, yeah? Until two in the morning? Who was it? Do I need to set an extra space or did he already leave?" She drawled sarcastically, making me crinkle my nose in annoyance. David, Blake's father, who had just appeared in the room, snickered, pecking Mindy on the cheek before taking his seat in front of me.

"It was a friend," I stated, crossing my arms. "So, no, you don't. We didn't have sex. We just hung out. And frankly, I'm offended that you think I'm that sort of man."

Mindy rolled her eyes and David raised his brows. I wasn't able to tell if it was mock shock or not but I grit my teeth, cheeks flushing. I narrowed my eyes. "What?"

"Did I just hear that Liam hung out with a friend last night?" Blake yawned from the doorway, causing me to perk up. His hair was spiked at an odd angle and he rubbed his face like a child. I curled my lip at his words. "That's impossible. You don't have any friends."

"I have friends! Why does everybody keep saying that?" I demanded as Blake pulled out a seat beside his father. Blake leaned on his hand and glancing out the window, looking rather focused. Furrowing my brows, I followed his gaze and soon groaned. I rolled my eyes, seeing Kai scaling down the side of the house in what can only be assumed as a bad attempt at sneaking himself out, bare chested, and wearing a pair of pajama pants that I swore I had seen Blake wearing a couple of weeks ago. He struggled with his clothes in his hands. Mindy must have seen the same thing as I did from the corner of her eye because she simply sighed dramatically and reached over, opening the door to the patio.

"Kai, get in here for breakfast," She called, causing Kai to jump. Once his eyes came to rest on her, his face broke out into a huge grin and he threw up his hand in a wave, dropping a shoe in the process.

"Morning, Mindy!" He practically shouted as he turned around, jogging towards the door. I pinched the bridge of my nose in irritation as Mindy beamed, welcoming Kai in like the second son he had become. He waggled his brows at her. "I was just on my way inside."

Mindy rolled her eyes, laughing. "Oh, yeah, I bet you were. Just sit down and eat."

Kai bounded past her, swinging around the table to toss his clothes onto the couch. He dragged a hand through his caramel hair and I couldn't help but grit my teeth in annoyance to how comfortable he had gotten here. He pecked Blake on the cheek, dragging a hand along his shoulders, and took his seat on the other side of Blake's father. I nearly gagged watching as Blake watched him go by, like some kind of lovesick puppy. But I refuse to let Kai steal attention from the situation at hand again.