Chapter Thirteen; The Unperfect End to the Perfect Date

"Mom, wha-what are you doing here?" I managed to sputter out, taking a step forward. She smiled, with those features that looked all too familiar, and slid out of her chair. She made her way to me, arms open wide. Every single part of me wanted to back away, not to meet her embrace, but I couldn't. The shock had completely taken over and I felt like I was rooted to the ground. I stood as still as a statue and let her petite figure crash into me. I instantly stiffened in her arms, unable and unsure of what to do next.

"Liam! My gosh, boy, you had me worried sick!" She cried out in that melodic voice that I hadn't heard in what felt like years. The floral scent that I remembered all too well surrounded me and I felt like I was going to gag. She pulled away from me slightly, furrowing her brows at me as she studied my face. She reached up, catching my chin in her hand. "Christ, you look awful! Just awful! What are those under your eyes, bags? Oh, Liam, you used to take such good care of yourself, now look at you-!"

There it is. There's the mother that I remember.

"Mom," I interrupted slowly. I reached up, prying her hands from my face. She narrowed her eyes at me, almost as if she expected any other reaction to her simply showing up out of nowhere and then insulting me. Like I'm the one who insulted her by pulling her hands away from my face. I drew in a shaky breath, repeating myself, "What are you doing here?"

My mother clicked her tongue at me and turned on her heels, the doll-like golden ringlets of her hair smacking me in the face as she did so. I ground my teeth together irritably, scowling after her as she made her way back to her seat.

"I called you probably fifty times today, Liam! You had me worried sick," She chastised, sliding back into her chair and taking a sip of whatever it was that Mindy had poured for her. "I got on the first flight that I could."

"And then pounded on the door until she woke everyone up like a crazy person," Blake said blandly, leaning on the kitchen counter beside his mother, who bit at her lip anxiously. My mother gave a tight lipped smile.

"Oh, Blake, you are just as... sweet as I remember," She said sarcastically, eying him from the corner of her eyes. Blake gave her a mock smile that quickly faded, only to be replaced with a glare. I hesitantly stepped into the kitchen, my heart feeling like it was going to burst through my chest.

"It didn't occur to you that I was busy? That I would call you back when I had the chance?"

"You always answer on the first ring, darling," She said matter-of-factly, leaning on her hand, tapping her cheek with a perfectly manicured nail. I scoffed.

"That's because a call from you is rare. The only time you ever call, it's to return one of my calls. The calls that you were returning today were from nearly a week ago, by the way," I spat, truly hoping that my irritation was getting across with my tone. My mother seemed unfazed, however, and merely waved a hand. I eyed her. "How did you even know where I was?"

"You sent me the address awhile ago, dear."

"Oh, so you do get my messages, I guess," I laughed bitterly, crossing my arms over my chest. "You just never reply."

"Oh, Liam, don't be such a drama queen," She sighed, shaking her head. She looked at me, pointing a finger. "I'm the mother here. You are supposed to reply to my messages. I am a very busy woman, I don't have time to just drop everything and come at your beck and call every time that you create a problem for yourself-,"

"But you can somehow find time in that busy schedule to make your way down here, huh? Yeah, that makes sense."

"I came down here because I was worried! I thought that something had happened to you!"